• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

15-day jail sentence over Lockport sign

WildWestDesigns

Some towns regard signage as a type of "pollution" if you will and they have pretty strict rules on them. My hometown at least did while I was living there, don't know if that's change or not. The town I live in now has a pretty fair amount of rules.

Some I can understand from an aesthetic stand point as just a regular citizen. Some might be too much.

Pat Whatley

if tomorrow they passed an ordinance making it illegal to own a weapon, would you turn in your firearms, and drive to city hall every day for the next 18 months to work to change the law?
Irrelevant. The constitution of the United States carries a little more weight that a local ordinance. He may be able to pull off the "freedom of speech" argument but I think he's lost that argument because the message is flashing between a commercial message and his sentimental message. From what he says in the video it sounds like he's trying to invent a loophole by claiming that the complete video....changes and all....is just one continuous message even though it's composed of individual messages (kind of like individual pages making up one magazine).

he in no way violated the personal or property rights of any individual. Moving messages on LED signs are a known distraction to motorists. The law was in place to limit this.

I dont understand how violating a civil ordinance, that quite frankly has no business being in effect in the first place, warrants jail time. Your views on whether the law is warranted or not is irrelevant. The ordinance is in place, he's been warned, he's been fined, he found a sentimental message he could exploit to try to circumvent the law. I believe marijuana should be legal (and I've never used).....my beliefs don't mean the law doesn't have to be followed.

we let we let serious criminals out early due to overcrowding, apparently to make room for the business owners violating ordinances. Where, exactly, are you drawing the line between serious criminals and non-serious criminals? Plus, if he serves more than a weekend in jail I'd be shocked.

I would say that he has done his work to change the ordinance by standing against it. He has brought glaring attention to it, and I dont see this particular ordinance staying around much longer after this.... but I could be wrong. ...and until it's changed he's got to follow it.

Yes, I agree the whole thing is ridiculous. I also believe that this is going to give him the attention he needed to try and get it changed. All in all it sounds like the guy just likes poking at politicians with a stick.

lenwardus

No need to break the law when
you can easily circumvent it
with political contributions.

Works for corporate america.

Heck..if the sign goes out...you
could get a bail out for a new one.

lenwardus

No need to break the law when
you can easily circumvent it
with political contributions.

Works for corporate america.

Heck..if the sign goes out...you
could get a bail out for a new one.

MatthewTimothy

Most of the time laws like that only affect people from that time forward, not those that got everything when it was legal to do so (along the lines of ex post facto). You have to show that you got them when it was legal to do so. Why do you think so many people were collecting guns when the current administration was just transitioning into office? They were afraid of some of those very laws going into effect.

I don't really see a ban on gun ownership, but I could see laws to do with sales of the guns. Way too much issue to attack gun ownership specifically. Have to get a little more creative then that.

dont let williamson county see this, lol :ROFLMAO:

ucmj22

Moving messages on LED signs are a known distraction to motorists. The law was in place to limit this.

** Tongue in cheek, not argumentative tone**
so are beautiful women.. lets regulate how many beautiful women can be on the same street at one time
:smile:

ucmj22

I would also place this ban on avatars.
LexSigns is the first official ban from posting! Her avatar is to distracting, causing my arguments to be disjointed and lack cohesion

Deaton Design

If I were him when I got out, I would make sure that my sign changed every ten minutes from now on, but in big ol letters, I would put, "City Government Sucks!"

Locals Find!

If I were him when I got out, I would make sure that my sign changed every ten minutes from now on, but in big ol letters, I would put, "City Government Sucks!"

You can do better than that. You put the mug shot and the Caption "I spent 15 days in Jail over this sign" then "City Government Sucks!"

WildWestDesigns

dont let williamson county see this, lol :ROFLMAO:

It's actually just two towns within Williamson that are the worst. Fairview isn't too bad, but not really much to that town either. They also have a nasty rivalry too, some of the road development that connects the two towns were poorly done in order to keep travel from going between the two towns. Really nasty.

jasonx

Most of the time laws like that only affect people from that time forward, not those that got everything when it was legal to do so (along the lines of ex post facto). You have to show that you got them when it was legal to do so. Why do you think so many people were collecting guns when the current administration was just transitioning into office? They were afraid of some of those very laws going into effect.

I don't really see a ban on gun ownership, but I could see laws to do with sales of the guns. Way too much issue to attack gun ownership specifically. Have to get a little more creative then that.

This happened in Australia because some loon decided to take out people with semi automatic weapons.

WildWestDesigns

This happened in Australia because some loon decided to take out people with semi automatic weapons.

We've had our share of loons with guns.

Australia though, to my knowledge, does not have anything about ex post facto in your constitution, so there wouldn't be an issue with it there.