• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

15k to start, what to buy? (printer, cutter + maybe laminator)

hazelsmrf

Have you considered a used HP Latex machine with a separate cutter. Prints come off dry, the media isnt expensive like your aqueous set up. The print is fairly robust. Some good deals on second user 26500 and 25500 machines (dealer supplied with some warranty) You can find 3rd party inks for it. If you are going to invest in kit then you also want to bring your production cost per unit down as well as be able to increase production etc.

I have not actually looked into latex, is it very fiddly? For ease of use is it comparable to solvent? Are the prints more durable than solvent if they're not laminated?

hazelsmrf

Maybe I could help you with your production. I have the large format printer (HP L26500), a summa cutter, a gerber edge printer and a gerber envision cutter. If you want really good accuracy, the envision cutter is really good. I do lots of lablels, so I think I could help you.

Ahhh your set up sounds like a dream! I am not really looking to outsource my production though, most of my items I print on demand and I need to have them out to customers within a few days, so adding another step to that process would not work well for me. If I sold fewer products and in larger quantities I would definitely look into it, but right now I have many different products with different variations. I had considered a used Edge setup but price for finished items seemed higher than on the larger printers.

woolly

Now seen what you are doing the roland correctly set up would eat that job. Can't see the point of laminating what was shown
2 ft material 4 pinch rollers 12 5x7 at a time.
In versa works you can set page batch sizes on the roll so it will print and cut a page then start the next page.
Keeps the accuracy over larger volume

hazelsmrf

Now seen what you are doing the roland correctly set up would eat that job. Can't see the point of laminating what was shown
2 ft material 4 pinch rollers 12 5x7 at a time.
In versa works you can set page batch sizes on the roll so it will print and cut a page then start the next page.
Keeps the accuracy over larger volume

Thank you, that's helpful! Yeah I don't laminate my small decals like that, most of my items can remain unlaminated which is why I figured that a print/cut all in one solution would save me a lot of time, since I don't have to take it off to laminate. The items that I laminate are labels that will be handled a lot, like for indentifying school supplies, so they don't get scuffed. I was going to start offering wine labels so I figured those would need to be laminated as well.

KB2184

Need help picking a vinyl cutter

Hi All - I am in a similar situation and need help to decide what to buy. I am in the process of a startup and already have a potentially large job lined up. I will need to mass produce approximately 2x6inch decals. Since this is a start up I am limited on funds at the moment. We want to start basic around $1000-1500. Any suggestions for a good cutter than can help me achieve this?

2B

Out of curiosity, why the Summa if the Roland also cuts?

as a Roland user it would be for 2 big reasons, there are other points but these are the main

• long distance cutting you loose accuracy of your cuts
  • if your printer is cutting you are not printing, it disrupts production and creates a bottle neck

2B

Hi All - I am in a similar situation and need help to decide what to buy. I am in the process of a startup and already have a potentially large job lined up. I will need to mass produce approximately 2x6inch decals. Since this is a start up I am limited on funds at the moment. We want to start basic around $1000-1500. Any suggestions for a good cutter than can help me achieve this?

outsource the production to a merchant member here. use your funding on marketing, brand image, website, etc... and sales