• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1604 with 1614 firmware. Is it Okay?

hapycmpr

I took possession of a used Mutoh 1604A. I notice that when you first turn it on the display states Mutoh 1614. My question is do they use the same firmware or what would be the reason someone would install 1614 software on a 1604 printer? Thanks for you comments. -James-

heyskull

I wouldn't think you could install the 1614 firmware on a 1604 board (I may be wrong though).
Maybe it has had a newer 1614 motherboard fitted, as I would think the connections would be the same and it should run.

Oh just checked on digiprints site, and the boards are the same!!!!!..

http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/vj-1614-main-board-dg-44332.html

So yes you probably can use the 1614 firmware on this board.
Making your 1604 into a 1614.
I always questioned what made the 1614 supossedly faster than the 1604, and the answer is nothing.
Guess we were lied to all along as the carriage motors are also the same on both machines.

The only difference is you can position the ink carts vertically in the 1614!

SC

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The main difference between the 1604 and the 1614 is motor speeds and ink flow. The firmware allows the 1614 to have 3 different motor speeds, whereas the 1604 has only 2. The 3rd motor speed on the 1614 is faster than the 1604's top speed. To handle the extra speed they changed the dampers to higher capacity dual channel dampers so ink doesn't run out during the faster print speeds. The motors are different part numbers and have about a $100 difference between the two but I don't have both in stock to verify if they are the same or different but I assume they are different.

A Mutoh tech once told me that you could modify the parameters in a Mutoh 1604 by replacing the slowest speed with the higher speed of a 1614 but you lose the slower high quality setting as the 1604 firmware is only looking for 2 speeds rather than 3. You may have a Frankenstein machine that someone modified to mimic the 1614. The only concern I would have is that the 1604 motor was not originally specced to run the higher speeds and may fail sooner than it should. Other than that the machines are exactly the same.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Back when Mutoh first released the 1614 they also released a newer firmware for the 1604. This newer "high speed" firmware allowed the 1604 to print at the same speeds as the 1614. Once installed you would need to recalibrate the printer. This new firmware caused one issue on certain machines. There was too much feedback from the motor and you have to install an upgraded cable between the main board and power supply. Without that cable some printers would randomly show an E074 error code. I upgraded several machines with this new setup back then. It only seemed to change the banner 4 mode. Otherwise the 1604 and 1614 are basically identical machines.