• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1608 ink issues

Esdale

Hi all

I have had major ink problems with our 1608 printer. in the last 2 years we have changed the print head and the capping station twice. We still have major nozzle plugging on a daily basis.When you change the capping station it works well for about 1 month then it starts to plug, we do maintenance on the print head every day. I have the printer set to clean every 4 hours.I am running out of ideas except to change to the new MP 21. Has anyone tried the conversion from Mubio ink to MP21 and if so did it improve or is it just another waste of money and time. any advice and or help would be appreciated. :banghead:

Thanks everyone on Signs 101

dizzyg33

Esdale,

We recently had a 1608 installed by a local supplier who had this machine on their showroom floor for the past 2 years. It was running the Mubio ink set and after a few weeks of problems and dislike of the lack of color saturation, we had them switch out the ink to the new MP2 ink set. We have run only a handful of test prints (since we just had the ink swapped out yesterday) and so far it has significantly improved. A new print head along with ink tubes, wiper unit and ink discharge unit all came with the kit. So far I'm really liking the new ink set. Will keep posting any new happenings.

tandem signs

I recently had the same problem on our printer, although its a different model. We have the Mutoh Rockhopper II. On our model there is a major design flaw where the ink doesn't drain correctly into the waste bottle due to the angle of the hose. This plugs up the exit tube and in turn causes ink to slowly pull through the heads to the pumps. My solution was dropping the waste bottle 3 inches to give the tubes a better angle to flow. You might just want to check your waste tubes and make sure they aren't clogged. Hopefully its that simple of a fix!

Esdale

On our model there is a major design flaw where the ink doesn't drain correctly into the waste bottle due to the angle of the hose. This plugs up the exit tube and in turn causes ink to slowly pull through the heads to the pumps. My solution was dropping the waste bottle 3 inches to give the tubes a better angle to flow. You might just want to check your waste tubes and make sure they aren't clogged. Hopefully its that simple of a fix![/QUOTE]

I have cleaned the drain tubes several times it is something I have been doing since the first head replacement, you are absolutely right the lines do plug causing the ink to clog the capping station. The 1608 is the worst printer I have used you have to baby sit it.

:thankyou:

henryp

In my opinion, new ink is much better than the bio-ink. If your VJ-1608 uses heated air, you should be fine to switch to this ink. If you have the one without heated air, you may have a problem because it is not as quick drying as the original bio-ink.

JVR

mubio ink conversion to mp

I am also having problems with my Mutoh Valuejet hybrid with my cyan and black print heads as they appear clogged. Did you install the conversion kit yourself or did it require a technician from Mutoh? Also how much did it cost and do you think it solved the problem when converting to mp21 ink.
Thanks

jhanson

In my opinion, new ink is much better than the bio-ink. If your VJ-1608 uses heated air, you should be fine to switch to this ink. If you have the one without heated air, you may have a problem because it is not as quick drying as the original bio-ink.

I didn't realize there was a VJ-1608 made without the heated air system.

@JVR Do you see any white crystalline buildup on the nozzle plate? If you do, you will probably need a new head installed during the conversion. I would suggest having a tech do the conversion.

henryp

I didn't realize there was a VJ-1608 made without the heated air system.

@JVR Do you see any white crystalline buildup on the nozzle plate? If you do, you will probably need a new head installed during the conversion. I would suggest having a tech do the conversion.

The first generation VJ-1608 introduced in Australia did not have heated air.