• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1614 Firmware Update

azmaestro

I amt trying to update the firmware on my 1614. Downloaded the MSA utility and latest firmware V2.0. When putting the printer in firmware load mode and "waiting for command" displays on the panel I click on download parameters, there is some action and then I get "communication error", transmission timed out. The IP in the machine corresponds to the IP numbers in the MSA utility. Attempting to upload the firmware gives me the same error. There is no problem sending files through the RIP. Called Mutoh and the tech says there is also a default IP (last numbers are .253), but it does not appear on the printer display panel except for the IP I assigned ending in .200. I have not tried using a crossover cable plugged to the workstation. What gives?

FrankW

There are known problems with updating firmware using a standard network. I suggest to try it with a crossover-cable.

heyskull

Why are you updating the firmware?

My reason for this question is the main reason Mutoh updates firmware is to STOP users using third party inks.
Believe me I updated to 2.0 on our 1604 and magically it no longer accepts Lyson/Nazdar cartridges anymore!
So if you are using other suppliers inks do not update the firmware.
If in the future you may think of using third party inks it will make it harder (although not impossible) to use these inks.

SC

azmaestro

After my warranty expired I experimented with 3rd party inks and it has been nothing but an uphill challenge to make the cartridges recognizable, some work, some don't and other start beeping when half empty (the supplier had to send me new cards because they had put 220s on 440 cartridges! When one ads all this up (down time, plugged jets, replaced capping station, head soaking, etc) the OEMs are a bargain unless they have alot of time on themselves. The fist thing Mutoh techs ask is if you have the latest firmware installed when you call for support, so if they upgrade the firmware to discourage competing ink products, they are doing a darn good job. I bet their ink sales will triple if thy brought the cost down to 95.99 :) for a 440 cartridge. Then we'll all be happy!

Graphics2u

Never had an issue upgrading firmware on my 1614. Are you using the newest version of MSA? I think it ver 3.0.1.0. My is connected through a network switch/Router and it worked fine.

heyskull

Azmaestro

We have had no problems using Lyson/Nazdar inks (until the firmware update!)
I am currently running a bulk ink system with no problems for the last 3 months.
The price for these inks is roughly £25 for 500ml which is a massive saving.
No blockages or dodgy problems with smart cards so far (touch wood)
I can also now reset the smart cards back to 100% relatively simply.
As far as I can see with the Mutoh Valuejets is that some run like ours quiet happily for years with very little maintenance and then you get some that are a complete pig and never seem to run right from day one.

My issue is when you ask Mutoh what has been updated on the firmware to make your machine better by updating the firmware they just say it's better!

Back to my original question "Why are you updating the firmware?"

SC

azmaestro

I am hoping the firmware update may solve some issues of getting false reading of the ink status, the beeps become very annoying and having to press “cancel” gets tiring sometimes. I get warnings even with OEM cartridges on occasion. I don’t know if it will make the machine run “better”, most manufactures list the updates with each newer version rather than just “better”, so I tend to agree that the upgrades are just for staying ahead of the third party ink suppliers. I am still running on version 1.09. There is a local vendor here in Arizona for Nazdar inks and I may give them a call and see what they have to offer, as for the ValuJets I upgraded from the 1204 to a 1614, the 48” run flawlessly for over 2 years without a plugged jet. I’ll call the 1614 a piglet, since it is temperamental sometimes but superior in many ways. What is the convenience of bulk ink other than savings in volume, compared to the 440s. Do you reprogram your cards in house? Went back to OEMs for now, I think I'll hold off on the firmaware, too.

heyskull

I wish I was back on v1.09 firmware as you have total access to all the machines functions.
Did you know that Mutoh have now written the firmware in such a way that you cannot downgrade back to a previous version!
I initially was told that upgrading my firmware would excercise the tank valves more as they have a tendancy to stick every now and then but even after the upgrade they stick as often as ever!

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to reprogram the cards! You don't even need a special card reader to reset them back to 100%!

The main reason why I switched to bulk ink is the price of OEM Mutoh 220ml cartridges here in the UK works out to be over $100 a cartridge!! Yes you read that right over $100 for a 220ml cartridge!!!

As I said to the Mutoh Rep. "I am being held to ransom for what ink I use, in a machine that is nearly 5 years old and no longer warranted by them" I am not told by Ford that my car will only run on Ford fuel. So why scare users into buying over priced inks?

If they want to win customers trust why don't Mutoh say if you buy our overpriced inks we will guarantee the printheads and attached pipework, tanks and assemblies indefinitley..... I think not!

SC

Tel

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to reprogram the cards! You don't even need a special card reader to reset them back to 100%!
SC

I agree with what you say heyskull and would be really interested to know how to reset the cards to 100%

regards
Tel
also in UK