• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1614a valuejet printing issues

tyzero

I had just picked up a 1614a printer. It had done a palette print before moving with no issues. When installing the printer in its new location I am having issues. The printer starts up and does everything just fine. I try to print another palette print with no success.
I called mutoh and we walked through priming the head and sub wells. The printer will not lay down any ink. I called mutoh back and they said it's possibly a blown f2 fuse. Can someone let me know where this may be located? I have found f1, f3, f4, and f5 fuse buy cannot locate f2. Also there is I k flowing through the print head as it will do a cleaning and cycle ink.

Thank you

heyskull

If you look at the attached picture the F2 fuse is located at the very top right inbetween the 3 capacitors (black things) and the single capacitor.
They are really really small (I have seen bigger grains of sand), in fact to call these fuses is a joke as I expect fuses to be replaceable fairly easy and these are a pain.
You can check with a multimetre whether it has blown but if I remember even this is not a certain check as the circuit can back track and give a false reading.
You will have to obviously remove the board completely and with the aid of a magnifying lense desolder and solder a new fuse in.
It is a pain of a job but is possible if you have some patience and soldering skills.

SC

Attachments

• vj board.jpg
    vj board.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 271

MagnetStew

We had the same fuse go out on a 1618. If you don't have a really good printer tech available (and I mean one with lots of electronic experience) I would recommend taking the board to a professional/industrial electronics shop to have them remove and replace the fuse.

harper14

Where is this board located on the machine?

If you look at the attached picture the F2 fuse is located at the very top right inbetween the 3 capacitors (black things) and the single capacitor.
They are really really small (I have seen bigger grains of sand), in fact to call these fuses is a joke as I expect fuses to be replaceable fairly easy and these are a pain.
You can check with a multimetre whether it has blown but if I remember even this is not a certain check as the circuit can back track and give a false reading.
You will have to obviously remove the board completely and with the aid of a magnifying lense desolder and solder a new fuse in.
It is a pain of a job but is possible if you have some patience and soldering skills.

SC
Where is this board located on the machine?

heyskull

The board is situated under the machine. It is were the network cable plugs in. It is hinged at the front of the machine. There are a lot of cables to disconnect so I would take photos and label them. On a subnote their is no way you can solder the fuses in without removing the complete board.
SC

harper14

The board is situated under the machine. It is were the network cable plugs in. It is hinged at the front of the machine. There are a lot of cables to disconnect so I would take photos and label them. On a subnote their is no way you can solder the fuses in without removing the complete board.
SC

OK, I have replaced the fuse and now the head is printing, but all it will print is a solid multi color line the size of the print head. it also the prints starts a 1/2 inch before the vinyl and doesn't stop till 1/2 inch after the vinyl. anybody have any idea? thanks!!

heyskull

OK, I have replaced the fuse and now the head is printing, but all it will print is a solid multi color line the size of the print head. it also the prints starts a 1/2 inch before the vinyl and doesn't stop till 1/2 inch after the vinyl. anybody have any idea? thanks!!

This is almost the same as what happened to ours.
Except ours was still printing the image sent except with a magenta band through it.
The F2 fuse blows to save other more sensitive parts of the machine.
It looks like the head has come to the end of its life and needs replaced (printheads last 5 years max).
When installing a new head fit a new OE printhead cable and a new maintenance station.
Please do not try to print until these parts are replaced as the fuse may not protect as well next time, and cause some seriously expensive parts to be needing replaced.
That should be it and your machine should print like new.
Sadly these items are not cheap but these items are the main wear items and need to be changed periodically.

SC