• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1624 Head Replacement

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Hello all -

Looks like we have lost almost a full black ink channel in one of our 1624's. Has anyone here replaced a head by themselves before - and do you think this is what needs to be done? We just put in a new maintenance station around a month ago. Nozzle check comes back great with the exception of one of the black channels almost completely gone.

This printer is pretty much the workhorse of the our two 1624's, and it really stinks that we can't print anything with solid black colors.

Would like any advise you may have as a replacing a $2,000 part, plus technician costs if we can't handle the job - (pricing from what I've found online) is quite the expense.

Thanks in advance.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you haven't tried already, you should replace the dampers and then just double check that the maintenance station is sucking ink through the head or just air. Those two things would cause a channel to drop out. Probably need to do a little more troubleshooting before going to a head replacement.

Most of my customers install their own heads. If you can turn a screw driver, follow directions, and keep your patience, you should do fine installing on your own. Also, having a loupe will allow you to dial a new head in perfectly. You can do it without one but might not get 100% perfect print quality.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Vander, thanks for the reply. As stated, the maintenance station was replaced about a month ago, and all other colors look great on the nozzle check - so I'm sure that it is good. Verified ink running through drain lines during cleaning cycles as well.

Are dampers cheap and easy to swap out?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Vander, thanks for the reply. As stated, the maintenance station was replaced about a month ago, and all other colors look great on the nozzle check - so I'm sure that it is good. Verified ink running through drain lines during cleaning cycles as well.

Are dampers cheap and easy to swap out?

The dampers are fairly easy to change and is actually part of changing a head out so it's good experience. Here is a link to the part on our site. Your machine takes 4 but luckily the black shares a damper so you can only change just the black one to rule it out.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Okay, I will definitely give that a shot. I didn't see a link posted, is this (http://www.solventinkjet.com/mutoh-valuejet-dual-channel-damper/) it?

Do you guys send any instructions with the parts, or should this one be pretty easy to figure out, with some research on my part?

Forgot to add the link. Yes that is the correct one. We send the tech manual and give phone support if you get stuck or have questions. It can be hard to decipher the manual sometimes since it wasn't originally written in English. There are also YouTube videos out there but be careful because sometimes they aren't the best info.

Chris1213

To limp along until head replaced, you could try Superfine A or Superfine B microweave for solid black art. Since one of the two black channels is missing, one of these will avoid that ink line at the head (along with all the other A or B lines). Test both using a small swatch, and one should work. Note that print speed will suffer while overall print quality will likely improve.