• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1624X quality output?

TomK

Hey Folks,

Fellers has a pretty good sale on the 1624X, basically 50% off and including 2 year warranty, delivered and installed. Bringing the machine in at $9K.

I've not been happy with my HP Latex for any of our sticker printing due to the grainy prints, the 12 pl droplet size, etc.

Will the Mutoh be any better in terms of quality output for prints compared to the HP 310? Looks like the 1624X is "old" technology and has been around for 9 or 10 years, not sure if they've updated the heads in it or not. They sell it as a wrap printer vs a higher quality output printer, like Epson does with their solvents - they call em photo quality output.

Or should I spend a little more and just get the Epson S40600, that looks like the competitor to the 1624X. Speed of prints isn't my concern, quality of the output since the viewing distance is close, is what matters first for me.

Fellers doesn't have a showroom where I can go see the 1624X (crazy right?) but they are trying to hook me up with someone in the local market I can go print out my own samples on.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
No takers on this.
I have that printer but I do not have anything to compare it against. First eco sol was the 1304 now the 1624.
Machine is a workhorse - simple to maintain and run with only 4 colors to worry about.
With the right profiles the quality and speed seem very good to me. I've used it (1304) to satisfy some very picky customers that are part of large international chains that have pretty stiff branding standards. Had the big boss for the entire Asian region (based out of mainland China) do a walk-through of my stuff and my shop. I'm still doing their work as the sole provider for this area (small fish in a small pond) so I think I did ok. I don't know of anyone here running the newer Epsons but most everyone on this forum has nothing but good things to say about them.
I have seen the output of a competitor's HP 300 series here and they did not look that great. Could just be user error not the machine.
Issues that irritate me a little are the material handling - only supports about 99 lbs before you have to order the heavy duty system that runs several thousand dollars. The standard one is ok until you get into full 54 x 50m banner rolls.
Firmware could use a few more user friendly options like a quick on off for the media sensor - so you can run 2 sided or dark colored material without the printer thinking it has hit the end of the roll. Be nice to have a "Continue Job" option when it does pick up what it thinks is the end by mistake.
Panel length and color matching works pretty good (Flexi RIP).
Mine is about 3 years old now and I keep it pretty busy. Only thing I have changed is the maintenance station.
Getting ready to get new dampers and a new print head to keep on standby. The 'end of head life' error popped up about a year ago so I guess I have exceeded the shot count but it is still printing fine.

When it is time to get another printer it will most likely be another Mutoh - I won't have to re-learn a new system and when I call in for tech service the phone rings at my house (no local support).

Wayne

ProPDF

Hey Folks,

Fellers has a pretty good sale on the 1624X, basically 50% off and including 2 year warranty, delivered and installed. Bringing the machine in at $9K.

I've not been happy with my HP Latex for any of our sticker printing due to the grainy prints, the 12 pl droplet size, etc.

Will the Mutoh be any better in terms of quality output for prints compared to the HP 310? Looks like the 1624X is "old" technology and has been around for 9 or 10 years, not sure if they've updated the heads in it or not. They sell it as a wrap printer vs a higher quality output printer, like Epson does with their solvents - they call em photo quality output.

Or should I spend a little more and just get the Epson S40600, that looks like the competitor to the 1624X. Speed of prints isn't my concern, quality of the output since the viewing distance is close, is what matters first for me.

Fellers doesn't have a showroom where I can go see the 1624X (crazy right?) but they are trying to hook me up with someone in the local market I can go print out my own samples on.

The Epson S40600 is $9k or less actually now after rebates, you have to call the right dealer. Call Grimco. Ask for "Demo" pricing, sometimes near an open house event. It will come with a one year warranty but the take-up on it is amazing and you will get additional year warranty discount coupons per Epson ink carts you buy just save the barcodes. I would consider running from the Mutoh for many reasons. Yes it's carrying a really old Epson head. The smart card errors will drive you mad and the inline valves freeze/stick sometimes on their reservation tanks.

rjssigns

I've had a Mutoh 1624x since the end of April and am quite pleased with it's output. Still learning the ins and outs since previous printer was a Roland. One of the first jobs I did with the Mutoh was boat lettering. The blue looked like cut vinyl when done. In fact most solid colors look like cast vinyl.
Small text looks good. Although a reverse out at 6 point is pushing it.

As far as it being "old" technology I don't see it affecting my prints. Clients are happy and I can turn jobs much faster with the increased print speed.

Conclusion. Don't look for the deal. Buy from a dealer in your town or the next town over. I bought my Mutoh from a dealer less than 30 minutes from my shop. Did I pay more. Not really. Fellers "deal" doesn't include tax, shipping or a full blown "I own it" copy of FlexiSign Pro.

Flexi that is included is Mutoh Flexi and as such can't drive another printer. I don't have that issue. You will have to use a Graphtec cutter as it is the only one supported with Mutoh Flexi. Also won't include the bulk ink set up, or 4 liters of ink that was included with my purchase. See where this is goin'?