• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

180cv3 bubbles

C

clintb

I have been wrapping for about 5 yrs and have put thousands of square feet of vinyl on under many different conditions.

What is the problem with CV3??.... The more I try to remove air – the more bubbles I get. The only partial success I had with it was on a strait trailer with no rivits, but I had to press as hard as I could the first time to get it looking okay. The "advantage" of no visible air channels is quickly overshadowed by millions of micro scratches from whatever material I use on my squeege, ie. sleves, velcro, nylon.

Am I just loosing my touch?
Do people actually think this is easier to install? What is the trick?

digitalgraffiti

I also thought the was the easiest stuff to apply on the market. At least that what 3M has been saying. I just bought a roll since I have a mini bus to wrap in the coming weeks. Hope I didn't waste my money.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
The flame from a torch or weed burner will get rid of those micro scratches and they will go away in the summer sun in a few days.

I haven't used the V3 yet, but have had problems occasionally with the V2. It seemed like the air channels around the bubble got sealed and when I tried to push it out I got hundreds of micro bubbles.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Just wrapped a box van yesterday with it and no problem. I use felt squeegee. In areas where you use primer 94 and rivet areas I sometimes get the slivers. I find it just as easy to use as v1. I use 8519 lam, mixing lam may make a difference. I also find in areas with high saturation of ink it seems to conform better.

C

clintb

I've used CV2 and noticed slight problems with trapped bubbles but nothing like the CV3. I am not too fond of the CV2 primarily because it seams more brittle than CV1 and I sometimes work in the cold so it tears easier.

digitalgraphiti..... Squeeze as hard as you can. sometimes a light stroke followed by a VERY hard stroke. But make sure you overlap strokes a lot. But watch out, you think its laid then hit it with your torch and you will be amazed at just how much air is left. It is almost like a really bad joke or perhaps useful in some form of extreme wrap training, so that CV1 will be easier later on.

Yes, ink saturation males it easier.

WOODBS

i used v3 on the bolt scooters and noticed the bubble problem..if i wasn't careful and left a bubblle behind ..had to pin release it..aighhh

k6media

Using CV3 .. and am absolutely loving it. We are using the 8518 overlaminate (gloss) .. and I am extremely impressed and pleased with it. I'd say it's cutting 15-20% of time off the installation..

Border

I was planning on trying that new blend on a tow truck wrap in the next week and now I'm a little nervous.
This is a really particular customer and I want it to look great.
Any more feed back on this new material?

Thanks!

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
We use v3 all the time and only notice occasional slivering of the material. This has been largly due to less than optimal temperature when applying. Other than that, I love the stuff. It works as well as v1.

Checkers

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if your clients are complaining about the crosshatch pattern in the V1, your designer is not doing his job.
That being said, with my limited experience with V3, it does seem more difficult to apply when compared to V1. I like it better than V2 though.
Perhaps you just need a little more practice? Since it seems to be a little less forgiving, you must be using use proper application techniques, just like applying regular vinyl.

Checkers

cdiesel

v3 is FAR superior to v2 as far as the air egress goes. That said, it does not work as well as v1. It's the look of v2 with a better air egress. You'll find that occasionally small bubbles won't easily push out. These will most likely go away on their own during the wet-out period.
If you're getting bubbles in the first place, I suggest there's something wrong. Your squeegee may be nicked or the felt/velcro/whatever may not be smooth. Another BIG problem I've seen with the proliferation of air egress vinyl is that installers are not using sufficient squeegee pressure. Most of the time a lesser amount of pressure looks like it works fine. Often (especially if it's a little on the cold side) bubbles will appear after the surface temp rises a little. This is due to insufficient pressure. Another common occurence is small bubbles, probably a lot like you're describing.
As Jester said, most if not all of the light scratches will bake out with the sun, or you can use a torch to "polish" the vinyl.

sdcali619

I have been wrapping for about 5 yrs and have put thousands of square feet of vinyl on under many different conditions.

What is the problem with CV3??.... The more I try to remove air – the more bubbles I get. The only partial success I had with it was on a strait trailer with no rivits, but I had to press as hard as I could the first time to get it looking okay. The "advantage" of no visible air channels is quickly overshadowed by millions of micro scratches from whatever material I use on my squeege, ie. sleves, velcro, nylon.

Am I just loosing my touch?
Do people actually think this is easier to install? What is the trick?

i guess we are blessed here in san diego but just throw that baby outside and let the sun cook it, those little scratches will be gone in no time. heat guns for the not so gifted work as well :)

johnnysigns

lol, they made something after V1? From what I see in the other wraps I'm able to look at closely I'd say CDiesel nailed it.

Malkin

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if your clients are complaining about the crosshatch pattern in the V1, your designer is not doing his job.
Checkers

Checkers, would you mind expanding on this thought? (or perhaps link me to a previous post)
I've never had anyone actually complain about it, although they have occasionally observed it. I generally prefer the v3 for my general purpose cast needs, but wouldn't hesitate to go back to v1 if needed.