Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions 18mm Retractable snap off cutter

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by TXFB.INS, Apr 24, 2019.

1. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The problem with cheap cutters is you can't be very precise because they don't hold the blade rigidly enough, and sometimes their blades aren't sharp enough. I started in the business with a boss who would only buy the cheapest ones at the hardware store checkout counter. And he kept using them even after the plastic cracked. Then I bought a stainless steel Olfa and converted him. If you have a problem with employees losing them, dock them the price of a new knife from their next paycheck. That worked for me.

3. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
  4. XtremeXccessories

XtremeXccessories Member

May 18, 2012
    Layton, UT
    Are employees losing them or did you say "good" because they keep breaking?

5. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    We give new employees a stainless Olfa to start - sell them the next one.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    How many emoyees do you have?

Get them an Olfa. Carve their name into it... Each person is responsible for their own knife.

I buy cheap $1-2 cutters for when I'm cutting down prints beyond their crop marks. I carry it in my pocket... I have like 15 of the same brand that no one else uses. I'm bouncing around the shop a lot so they are everywhere... I collect them when I see them and group them up.

Anything accurate I use an Olfa. Anything intriquite I use a vivid small one.

You can keep throwing your money at it... Or you can make your employees be responsible.

Hand them out instead of put them In stock. If an employee needs one... They come to you. Then ask why they need it, where their last one went. If it breaks that's one thing.... If they lose them that's another. We did the same thing with mechanic gloves... Went from using a box of 120 pairs a month to every 6 months.

• Like Like x 1