• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1940s Brush Font ID Please?

klmiller611

I posted this on what the font forum, to no result, so I am hoping that all the font gurus here can point me to a font like this.

This is originally done in the late 1940s and used up through the early 1960s, I feel sure it was done by someone truly of old school by hand, but I'd love to find a font that is close to this for specialized use today.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

Best
Ken Miller

Attachments

• N&W_script.jpg
    N&W_script.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 64

klmiller611

Wow, I thought sure someone here would have made a suggestion, as many good eyes as we have for fonts!

I guess I need to go look for some reference books from the era.

Ken

Two different e's, two different o's, two different n's, and two different r's. Unless it's been hacked and/or autotraced to pieces, it's definitely not a font.

EDIT: My bad. You were already aware of this, apparently.

klmiller611

No autotrace here, I feel certainly that it was someone who did it the old fashioned way, which was the way it was done then.

I redrew it in Illustrator, carefully years ago. We learned lettering back in the dark ages in college, but that was a long time ago, and as I recall, I had no real knack then for it. But honestly, it is something you either can, or cannot do, not much middle ground on it.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Best
Ken

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like something hand-painted with a broad flat brush..... and over the years and through xeroxing and copying it, it has become what is commonly known as a 'Bastardized' font.

S'N'S

It's definitely a font

Attachments

• ClassJ.poster.800.jpg
    ClassJ.poster.800.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 1948_Norfolk_and_Western_Railway_-_Land_of_Plenty.jpg
    1948_Norfolk_and_Western_Railway_-_Land_of_Plenty.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 49

OldPaint

just because.........it appears as a LOGO, dont mean its ever been a font. COCA-COLA.. old PEPSI, FORD, were only thing done that way.............when you can freehand, you can paint it........and mimick the style..........easily for all letters.