• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1st inkjet and laminator - help and advice sought

UNT Sign Shop

Hi guys, this is my first post, so I will apologize in advance.
I run a sign shop at the University that I work for. After seeing how much we spend outsourcing prints, they have agreed to buy me a printer. I just found out, so I am reading and researching as fast as I can.

* I have to have some quote for them to look at by this Wednesday (budget) so any and all advice is appreciated.

Most prints the we outsource are printed on white vinyl. Some are laminated, some are not.

Once a year I have to have large amounts of banners printed. Ideally, I would like to have something that can handle printing on 22oz block out material so we could print both sides if at all possible.

The majority of our printed work is somewhat temporary. It seems like 3 year outdoor inks are still pretty much the norm. I would like to stay with a system of inks that are proven and easy to work with. I don't really want to be a guinea pig with regards to new ink systems.

I'd also like the ability to print at least 48" wide. don't need to have anything that is bigger than that.

I would like to offer vehicle wraps as well. I would imagine most printers could handle that.

Anyone have experience with either the Mutoh ValueJet 1324 or 1624 ?
I have a plotter so I can cut std vinyl. I could easily be talked into a printer that has the ability to cut as well.

While I do work for the University and won't be spending my money, I do not have an unlimited budget. Consequently, flatbed printers and things that cost over $25000 total will be out of the question.

If anyone has some "real world" experience with a printer that would meet our needs, please let me know.

Thanks - back to reserach.

Last edited: