• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1st large banner - input needed.

wwpro

hi there

I have to do my first large banner, which is not big deal for most of you but I'm used to do stuff no more than twice the size of my 30" Rolands , cut or printed.

Now I have to come up with a banner that's roughly 6ft tall and 16ft long, it's supposed to cover the balcony of a business which is kinda messy.

I have a couple of questions, and not sure this is the right sub-forum, so move it if necessary

1 - Design-wise, how to approach this ? I'm outsourcing the printing, if I were printing it I'd design at 10-25% and scale it up on the RIP, but not sure what printer and rip are they using, need to find out. If I send an EPS 25% of the size ANY rip can scale it up right ?

2 - Material - Considering I'd be installing it, I was thinking using a banner mesh, it goes in a 2nd story and it's windy here this time of the year, or should I use a solid banner and cut some wind slits (sp?) ?

thanks !

Christian @ 2CT Media

I would design at 10% and at 10x the final dpi you need for the finished banner. So at 7.2" x 19.2" @ 720dpi if you need it to be at least 72dpi finished.

I prefer mesh over wind-slits but its all in preference and need.

J

john1

Actual size at 150 or 300 dpi depending on the company your outsourcing it to's guidelines.

Check out Wyld GFI, He is a vendor on the forums.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
John1,
I think your size recommendations are off a little.
6'x16' at 150 to 300dpi is way overkill. Detail 2 stories up on banner mesh is not going to be seen.
100 would be more than enough and 60 to 72 would about as high as I would go.
If you are doing vector art send the printer the eps and it will scale to what they want without issues.

wayne k
guam usa

wwpro

Yep, forgot about DPI but I was going to guess 72 for what I've been reading here.
I did a store front with perf the other day and I was mad at some of the seams I was seeing while installing, then you go a few steps back and it looks awesome, like a one piece graphic. Need to remember that all the time, DPI is related to viewing distance :)

J

john1

John1,
I think your size recommendations are off a little.
6'x16' at 150 to 300dpi is way overkill. Detail 2 stories up on banner mesh is not going to be seen.
100 would be more than enough and 60 to 72 would about as high as I would go.
If you are doing vector art send the printer the eps and it will scale to what they want without issues.

wayne k
guam usa

I always set up large files 150 MINIMUM DPI, Just the way i have always done things. Might be overkill but that's how i roll i guess.