Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

#2 grommets - all the same?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by B Snyder, Jun 5, 2007.

1. B Snyder

B Snyder Very Active Member

Jan 25, 2004
    One of my suppliers offers #2 3/8" grommets from 3 or 4 different manufacturers.
    Are these grommets all shaped the same and usable with any grommet press that has #2 dies?

Tags:
  2. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Pretty much, it's supposed to be a standard independent of manufacturer. I always buy whatever might be on sale from whomever has the best deal of the moment and have never had a problem.

3. Matt Cuellar

Matt Cuellar Active Member

Oct 5, 2006
    I haven't seen any differences between manufacturers...Normally will buy what's cheapest.

Matt

4. Todd M Castle

Todd M Castle Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Only thing that might be different will be the color and grade of material. I used to hate when you get copper ones off the truck to finish one you had half way done with silver. So I guess to sum up as long as they are the same color should not be a big deal.

5. juan45215

juan45215 Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Cincinnati OH
    I just had this problem. I bought my grommet machine brand new on ebay. They sent #2 grommets, but none of the #2 grommets from Fellers fit. I had to go back to the people I bought the machine from.

I pray that they never go out of business.

6. imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr Very Active Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Some are made for thicker materials, but a #2 should still fit your press.

7. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Some of them are made a little different to use in the snap lock grommet presses..........A standard #2 will not lock into my press............Ask me how I know............lol

8. juan45215

juan45215 Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Cincinnati OH
    Trust me. I took my machine to Fellers and we tried every grommet they had.

9. njsigns

njsigns Very Active Member

May 25, 2005
    I was thinking of ordering this machine off of ebay. I'm hoping it isn't the one you're speaking of... Should I steer clear and just spend the extra $100 on a Stimpson?

Gene

10. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    That model gives every appearance of a Chinese knock-off of a Fastsnap. Beware that some of these may have the dies mounted upside down so that the reeve is on the top and the grommet is on the bottom. It will work that way but you can't see what in hell you're doing if you're using self-piercing grommets, which any sane person uses.

Get a real machine, not an E-Bay pretend model of dubious ancestry.