• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

slappy

grommets :smile:

How much are you getting for punching them into coro or banners? You got to measure off each one and it takes a few seconds, so i was just wondering what is average resale on them with the labor across the board.

Do you give a quantity discount after so many?

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We don't charge for them. It's basically already figured into the cost of making banners. If someone gets carried away, we might tell them this is what our norm is, what you want will cost you an extra $12.00 [whatever], it usually stops them in their tracks.

When you figure out the cost of a baneer, you figure in the material, vinyl, weeding, application tape, applying, hem tape, hemming, overhead, markup and everything else that goes into a banner, why not just add in $10.00 for grommets and your time ?? They only cost about 9¢ apiece.

Jillbeans

I only charge for them if a customer requires extra.
Usually about $10 on a regular banner job.
Love....Jill

Baz

I charge per square foot for the banner then figure in between 25 to 50 bucks for finished edges which includes adhesive tape and grommets.

TheSnowman

Banners it's included, but I've seem to have a run on people ordering them on VistaPrint and then bringing them to be because they're bare bones. There's no room to hem them properly, and normally grommets don't last long in them. I generally charged $.50/each if I didn't print the banner, then I had someone bring me like 20 banners, and I spent forever pulling them out, unpackaging them, marking them, and putting grommets in them. Normally I pull a number out of my butt that makes it worth my time if I do it. I'll probably say like $1 each next time because I want them to buy the freakin banners from me, not the grommets.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Banners it's included, but I've seem to have a run on people ordering them on VistaPrint and then bringing them to be because they're bare bones. There's no room to hem them properly, and normally grommets don't last long in them. I generally charged $.50/each if I didn't print the banner, then I had someone bring me like 20 banners, and I spent forever pulling them out, unpackaging them, marking them, and putting grommets in them. Normally I pull a number out of my butt that makes it worth my time if I do it. I'll probably say like $1 each next time because I want them to buy the freakin banners from me, not the grommets.

There comes a point when you should turn work away..... and this is one of them.

I'd never do this for anyone unless they bought a bunch of other stuff from us and had an old banner which needed repairing or extra grommets.

fresh

If someone brought me banners like this, I would tell them there is an un-packaging fee. Also, you should charge at least $20 just to take out the box of grommets for a sign that you didn't make in the first place.

Its a liability to work on something that you didn't make. What happens if it gets damaged?

Jillbeans

I would charge A LOT to put grommets into some pre-printed crappy banners that I did not produce. That really burns my shorts.

slappy

but what about coro? It's like a 50/50 chance they may want grommets punched in.
Banners i can understand tossing a few in there. But coro?

Say 10 2x4 coro signs. You priced them out $45 or so each for 1 color and customer agreed and gave deposit.

Then, they want grommets in all 4 corners each sign after agreeing to price.

Now you didn't plan that into the price and it added a few more minutes of labor..

What would you do then?

Really like the un-packaging fee idea. I used to do the fair banners a while ago. There was like 12 and a pain to unroll each one to change the dates..... wished i would have charged something like that then....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know why someone would would want a grommet in each corner.... it's not like they're gonna put a bungee in each corner and stretch it out. The Cor-X simply won't tolerate that kinda pull. If they want to screw it fast to something, why not just got through the Cor-X with a screw and washer ??

Anyway, if someone order 10 signs and then come back and asked for grommets in it, I'd say why, they won't dangle like that. They aren't strong enough, but if you want to add to your order, that'll be an additional $45.00, please. :peace!:

On another note, we just finished 460 30" x 30" 2-sided Cor-X signs for a customer.

However, up front, I asked them how they were to be used and they said they would hang from the ceilings.
I then asked how ?? Rope ?? Chain ?? Wire, cable.... what ??
Wire.
Do you want grommets in them ??
Yeah, Okay.
Now............. you can figure it into the price.

You need to get these things straightened out up front. Being blindsided by customers always looks bad if you charge them for something that appears to be trivial. I know it's about principle, but it's human nature.... and even more so these days.

TheSnowman

If someone brought me banners like this, I would tell them there is an un-packaging fee. Also, you should charge at least $20 just to take out the box of grommets for a sign that you didn't make in the first place.

Its a liability to work on something that you didn't make. What happens if it gets damaged?

They generally do get damaged because what they ordered is garbage. I just tell them that it's probably going to fail. There's nothing I can do to make it un-suck.

OADesign

In my previous life, the corporation I worked for had this thing with grommets. Every new franchisee that came through the training was taught to charge a fee for every grommet. Its was even built into their pos POS, lol. It was a concept held just as high as if not higher than collecting a deposit before doing any work. I never agreed with this. A banner, in my mind, should come with basic grommets. Now if the costumer wants some thing more than "standard hems and groms" then we add cost on a case by case basis, if at all. I think its that same as a car dealer. You buy a car. It should come with a standard set of tires in order to drive it off the lot, right? If you want something other than "standard" then you are charged for an upgrade. or if you want more than standard, like the extra full size spare tire, you are charged more. How would you feel if you bought a new car, and your final invoice shows "Qty - 4 -Standard tires -$175 each..." lol

Malkin

On the rare occasion that we have been brought a big stack of coro signs to grommet, we charged $.60 each.

Generally though it's just included as a value added service on whatever sign that wants them.