• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2000 sq ft of printing, what are the best practices for long runs

depps74

Extra ink, extra printheads, extra material but what else should I do or know before a long run like this. I just did a long run and all went well till the printer started printed red and I had no idea why. Or when some of the prints were too small and I had to do them. My friend suggested doing printhead tests, calibrating and running a small test. Are they're any other tricks anyone wants to sharE? Looking for those who are used to doing huge runs for their tricks of the trade. I only got one 54" HP latex 315 and I really wanna get this process down so I can take on this job I got of over 2000 square feet.

ikarasu

For a huge job I usually run a Cleaning before hand. Depending on what's printing you may want to add the bar on the side to keep all the heads printing.

Ie- if most of your roll doesn't use magenta... Then 75 ft into.the roll red prints... It could start banding. Whereas if you use the bar, all colors will constantly print and it costs pennies to do.

It's also good because you can see if a color starts banding or not.

jfiscus

Rap Master
BE SURE TO FLIP EVERY OTHER PANEL in the rip.
Had a huge trailer wrap once and due to the dimensions it would crash the old rip. Had to send panels individually; and forgot to flip the odd panels. Had to reprint 1/2 the truck... :(

Christian @ 2CT Media

Now our process is this:
Head Cleaning / Alignment - replace as needed
Color Calibration (on printer) - sets comparison baseline for future work.
Run gutter color bars - if printing alot of solid colors

Have spare heads, cleaning kit, and ink.

Those first 2 steps in that order will help ensure color repeatability for future and subsequent work.

Also with thermal print heads the more they run the more stable they are. When we bought our first 570 we ran 100,000 sqft in under 15 days, we had over 25L through each head and only had to change a black head during that run.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Throwing in my 2 cents yet again. I don't know if your machines or production software has an output compensation setting, but be sure that it is properly calibrated beforehand. We've had several print jobs over the years come out too long because this setting was missed.

Dukenukem117

Now our process is this:
Head Cleaning / Alignment - replace as needed
Color Calibration (on printer) - sets comparison baseline for future work.
Run gutter color bars - if printing alot of solid colors

Have spare heads, cleaning kit, and ink.

Those first 2 steps in that order will help ensure color repeatability for future and subsequent work.

Also with thermal print heads the more they run the more stable they are. When we bought our first 570 we ran 100,000 sqft in under 15 days, we had over 25L through each head and only had to change a black head during that run.

Do you run that process before every new roll to make sure you can keep using the same printheads? 25L blows my mind. I keep seeing people say 4L.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We don't use that process on every roll, only color critical or repeatable jobs. If you are getting up there in ink through the head you definitely want to do this to verify you will get correct output.

Color calibration (linearization) is recommended at least weekly and the environmental changes can effect colors drastically.