• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

200'x20' stencils..

cdiesel

Hi guys,
I've got a client that's been asked to paint some letters on a rooftop. They're a general contractor, and will be handling the painting themselves, but have asked us to produce a stencil for them. The overall size is going to be 200'x20' and 145'x20'.

It's just plain Helvetica text. I'm almost leaning towards going up on the roof and drawing it out for them by hand with a tape measure.

Does anyone have any pointers on this?

Pat Whatley

They'll NEVER get a 20' x 200' stencil to work although I think it would be hilarious to give them a paper stencil that size and a pounce bag and let them figure out on the fly how bad an idea it was.

There's a reason general contractors are general contractors and sign painters are sign painters. Heck, 99% of sign painters couldn't handle that.

Draw it off for them or produce a small scale pattern with the measurements for them to snap off a chalkline grid and draw it out themselves.

Craig Sjoquist

Geez just scale draw it out on paper, then do the same on roofs.

Making a stencil that big is crazy, faster and lower cost just to do it by hand.

How many roofs ?

Jillbeans

Scale pattern/grid as one option or you draw it out for them as another option.
A stencil of that size is ridiculous.
Love...Jill
PS I'm waiting for Si to chime in with a pic of the ginourmous roof he painted.

cdiesel

I should've been more specific and not asked about "stencils".. I know an actual stencil that big is ridiculous (not to mention the fact I'm sure they'd freak over a $30k bill for them!). I'm going to suggest just hiring us to do the layout for them..

Thanks guys!

OldPaint

hennie(my other half) works for an industrial painting co. i usually get calls from them for estimates on the layout, painting of large text or graphics. most of the time i tell them if they get the job, to just get me up there with a couple a guys who take directions......and we will just lay it out. last one was a water tower,50 ft diameter logo on the semi flat top of the water company in st thomas)))))

Sticky Signs

Not sure i would try this method with anything that big however i have had luck in the past using static cling vinyl to make stencils. I know, stupid idea right? Well I thought so too but it ended up working great for this particular application. Just thought I'd share. good luck!

Si Allen

They must be crazy to think of using stencils!

Lay it out for them and let them paint it!

( For Jill :) )

Ontario letters are 75 foot and the sign is just under 1/4 mile long!

The Grapevine letters are 48 foot.

Attachments

• Omm1.jpg
    Omm1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 55
  • omm7.jpg
    omm7.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 46
  • GMM9.jpg
    GMM9.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 62

Jillbeans

Thanks Si!
Those are some damn big letters.
:)
I wouldn't fancy painting the OP's contractor's job in the AZ sun!