Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Poll on sign estimating/production software

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Gene@mpls, Jan 6, 2015.

What estimating software do you use

Poll closed Jan 13, 2015.
  1. Activity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cyrious

4.0%
  3. Estimate

14.0%
  4. GraphixCalc

4.0%
  5. SignVox

18.0%
  6. Sign Tracker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Excel spreadsheet

14.0%
  8. Other- please post

10.0%
  9. None

36.0%
  1. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    We have used Estimate for a lot of years and I can no longer buy another seat or 2 for my version (before subscription days) it would seem and Mark
    no longer responds to emails. I am handing over the shop to my daughter and a new partner and he is wondering if there is anything better (especially
    in the production/control area) than Estimate... and I am welcoming a fresh look at a lot of things. I found a poll from 5 years ago but I would guess
    that a lot of things/people have changed since then- so lets do another. Thanks Gene

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    We run EstiMate for the most part. But we use the Pat White method from time to time too.

3. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    We also use Estimate, I'm annoyed that they won't issue another seat for version 2.0 anymore, I have been planning on adding another seat for about a year now. We use estimate for pricing simple jobs like prints, pretty much everything else needs a bit more thought put into the pricing than a piece of software can handle.

4. jtinker

jtinker Owner

Mar 30, 2012
    Nassau
    Used Signimate + Quickbooks but getting ready to toss those two in favor of our own system custom built. Been working on it since early last year. Signimate i have to say is not worth the money and what was prompted me to make something better.

Besides being a Cyrious Software mouthpiece, Signindustry.com has a really nice article on the subject:
    http://www.signindustry.com/estimat...n_Estimating_Using_Advanced_Technologies.php3

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Between QuickBooks, a pencil & paper, a calculator and a few minutes, that's all I need, just like Pat.

Nothing against the software programs that do this, but I have already figured out the easy ones and put them directly into QuickBooks for instant quotes. Anything that takes more than a few minutes...... I just run it a second time, but in reverse.

6. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    QuickBooks > Cyriuos > Casper > SignVOX > QuickBooks.

As an end user and a trainer for most of the above. But when it come down to it, for me, its pencil paper ans QB all the way.

Nothing beats a paper trail. Yet.

7. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Here
    CreateABid and then enter that into Quickbooks seems to work pretty good and in not to time consuming or very expensive solution.

Since we do both signs, banners, and digital press printing I was hoping that Onestimate would go somewhere but seems it is vaporware.

8. Gene@mpls

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    I hear you- I would buy two more seats if I could. I have sent multiple emails with zero response. Kinda annoying. They used to have a phone #. Gene :banghead:

9. JJM7288

JJM7288 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    Cyrious Control, upgraded from Cyrious SMS.
    We started with SMS in 2001, upgraded to Control in 2011. I'm embarrassed to admit it took a couple years to implement Control, once we dismissed our former General Manager we were able to get it done.
    In my humble opinion and 27 years as an owner, Cyrious = Profit.

10. Kottwitz-Graphics

Kottwitz-Graphics Very Active Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Ridgely, MD

Exactly what I do. I tried estimate, and I use it occasionally, but I pretty much just think about how long it will take, figure materials, and add 10 or 15% for f.u.f. When I get the final # I decide if it is where I think it should be, and if I think it low, I will add extra to where I think it should be. ( I never drop my price, I only go up.) (say for instance I figure a 4' x 6' sandblasted sign to be $2300 in costs, but think it should sell for $4000, I will quote it to $3950, and then offer the customer a 5% discount. That way my costs are covered, the customer sees "discount", and they may think I'm giving them a deal, and order.)

11. jtinker

jtinker Owner

Mar 30, 2012
    Nassau
    That type of foresight was lost at the shops I worked at. We used cyrious and sometimes ended up charging $50 for cutting 24"x 24" piece of foamboard the customer brought in or $30 for installing 2 grommets in a banner that the customer got from us. Software is a great help I think but a lot of the times owners see only what is in the system and lose their commonsense.

12. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I'm not an avid Flex-I guy, but doesn't Flex-I have a quoting system within it's walls/clouds ??

13. DirtyD

DirtyD Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Flexi Sign Most version I think have a cost/estimate built in, it's not very effective, you input all of your materials and costs and after you have your design it gives a rundown of what it cost you from that design.. I've never really tried using it just looked at it a few times.. Then the cloud version as a basic version of SignTracker (cloud based)

14. HonosCorp

HonosCorp New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Try a demo of Honos Corp Workflow Software

Get your business automated, without all the extra emails, phone calls and chasing your customers down.....

The Honos Corp P3 Workflow Software was developed for the industry by people in the industry......
    Get a free demo to run around in and test it out...
    From start to finish every step from customer ordering, customer proofing, quoting, invoicing, to status changes, customer payments & way more....
    Everything is integrated in to the software!
    We eliminate over half of the run around and get your business streamlined so you can be efficient and make more money!

Adam
    HonosCorp.com

15. HonosCorp

HonosCorp New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Try a demo of Honos Corp Workflow Software

Get your business started and growing quickly, without all the extra emails, phone calls and chasing your customers down.....

The Honos Corp P3 Workflow Software was developed for the industry by people in the industry......
    Get a free demo to run around in and test it out...
    From start to finish every step from customer ordering, customer proofing, quoting, invoicing, to status changes, customer payments & way more....
    Everything is integrated in to the software!
    We eliminate over half of the run around and get your business streamlined so you can be efficient and make more money!

Adam
    HonosCorp.com

16. malayasigns

malayasigns New Member

May 18, 2012
    portland, or
    Custom built system?

Just wondering if you were able to get your system up and running?
    I have been running Signvox but hate it. Outgrew Estimate.
    Interested in sharing?
    Dave Forster

17. Gene@mpls

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    Interesting that this thread resurfaced. I wonder what happened to the Honos software person? Did anyone ever try his free trial? Gene

18. neil_se

neil_se Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Qld, Australia
    I did a while back. I looked through the site for about 10 minutes and quickly realised that it didn't have 1/4 the functionality of Signvox.

19. grdshute

grdshute Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Has anyone used clarity software before? I've got it but i want to see how it measures up to the others.

20. Jwalk

Jwalk Member

May 27, 2014
    Toronto
    I use the old school method . With the old school method I can also fit in how busy I am or how desperate I am.