Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions 2020 Dodge Ram

Discussion in 'Designs & Layouts' started by letterman7, Oct 14, 2020.

1. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Hi all,
    I want to pick the collective brain trust on how folks approach the tailgates on these new trucks. Many fire departments (and some PD) are now getting these Rams and they are giving me headaches trying to make them look right. Attached is a photo from an install today (not complete - it gets a cap). The lettering on the right gets a matching set on the left of the gate. If I install so the copy is level with the top of the gate (and plastic protector on top), the rest looks wonky as shown. I made the mistake of "leveling" the copy with the body fold just under the handle and that looks absolutely horrid. Since the gate from the handle to the top essentially flare from the center out (wider in the middle than on the ends), how do you handle this to not make it look completely weird?

Tags:
  2. fuzzy_cam

fuzzy_cam The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy

Mar 7, 2017
    Granbury, TX
    I would put the text on one line and size it down so that none of it falls below the fold.

In similar situations, If there is a slight curve, you can take a piece of scrap wrap/app tape/etc and draw a line on it. Take a straight-on photo of the curve and you should be able to align the text to it so that it follows the curve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
    Yes I just never put any text up there, curved body and straight text just don't get along!

4. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks. Yeah, the more I look at it the more it makes sense for a single line. Customer is just going to have to adjust :)

5. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    just be glad it's not the tailgate with the gigantic RAM on it. Hate those.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KatePhillips

KatePhillips Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Halifax NS
    Yeah I really enjoyed the embossed style logos until I had to design wrap/decals. They're the worst :(