• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help 2020 Ford Explorer Door Handle Removal and Reset

K2

Has anybody had to remove the 2019 Explorer (Police Interceptors) door handles and reset them? I can get them out but resetting them is my bigger issue. 2018s were so easy and I guess some genius decided to change it all up.

Last edited:

Reveal1

One of my installers just returned from Justin Pate's wrap class this week. Apparently he was pretty adamant about working around obstacles on commercial wraps since the customer expectation is lower than on a color change wrap and his techniques always include methods to employ if it's a commercial wrap vs. colorchange. His take was if it takes more than a few minutes to remove the hardware than don't do it and set customer expectations accordingly. He has lots of techniques for working around obstacles on the Wrap Institute site.

K2

I need to lay in the handle pocket (the bubble where the hand goes behind the handle) and I can't imagine putting a seam in there as much as the police are in an out of the car. Just seems like a problem in the future for me. This is pretty much a color change on the doors. Black vehicles with white doors.

On the Pate subject, did your installer say that class was worth it. I've been thinking about going for awhile now but have never pulled the trigger. I would say I'm pretty experienced in wrapping but could always learn some new tricks and I would like to see how others handle certain situations.

I put wrong year in the header, Sorry, Should be 2019.

Reveal1

I need to lay in the handle pocket (the bubble where the hand goes behind the handle) and I can't imagine putting a seam in there as much as the police are in an out of the car. Just seems like a problem in the future for me. This is pretty much a color change on the doors. Black vehicles with white doors.

On the Pate subject, did your installer say that class was worth it. I've been thinking about going for awhile now but have never pulled the trigger. I would say I'm pretty experienced in wrapping but could always learn some new tricks and I would like to see how others handle certain situations.

I put wrong year in the header, Sorry, Should be 2019.

She hasn't stopped talking about it (and all the things we should be doing differently). The class sponsored by Avery was geared towards people with some installation experience. They also have more advanced classes. She said the people having the most difficulty were the ones who were more experienced; un-learning bad habits. It's not super-comprehensive being a two-day class. Second installer I've sent and worth the money. Costs about $900 plus travel but you get a free 1/2 wrap kit and probably $100 worth of tools.

K2

She hasn't stopped talking about it (and all the things we should be doing differently). The class sponsored by Avery was geared towards people with some installation experience. They also have more advanced classes. She said the people having the most difficulty were the ones who were more experienced; un-learning bad habits. It's not super-comprehensive being a two-day class. Second installer I've sent and worth the money. Costs about $900 plus travel but you get a free 1/2 wrap kit and probably $100 worth of tools.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Has anybody had to remove the 2019 Explorer (Police Interceptors) door handles and reset them? I can get them out but resetting them is my bigger issue. 2018s were so easy and I guess some genius decided to change it all up.

Call a body repair place or a dealer, I don’t see why they wouldn’t tell you. How about YouTube?

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
I would think a guy would make a killing adding all the info on how to remove door handles, spoilers, Roof racks, lights ETC on like a Pro Vehicle Library with photos or videos.

signage

I figured it out after just messing around. It's actually very easy once you figure it out.

Don't you think it would be a good nature to post what you figured out for future members? You did ask and wanted other to let you know and took time out to see if they could help!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Our installers ran into this also, and if the door is reinforced/armored you're in a real pickle. They haven't found a good solution yet, so we've been modifying layouts to accommodate for missing the door handle on 2020 cruisers and notifying the customers that we can't remove them like before.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
Personally I'd attend a class by CHad Parrish loooong before any of Pate's. He's a decent instructor with a good set of hands, but his history on the industry and nearly everything he teaches is info seen, learned and/or tested by others in the industry that he promotes as his own. In easier terms..... He's more about his "brand" than anything else. There is now a wealth of videos out there on youtube by other, more experienced installers who are throwing vinyl each and every day and learning well as sharing new techniques for free. We spend a couple hours no less than once a month and/or as necessary with scrap material testing out what we see, discussing it, tossing new ideas off one another and have actually dispelled much of what Mr Self Proclaimed "Expert" as being pretty flawed. 40plus years in this industry as a kid and even with all these training classes, seminars and certifications, are seeing and hearing more and more train wreck installations than good ones. Not to sound redundant, but Pate is more about his "brand" and lining his own pockets by being a w#ore who helps others sell all sorts of pirated info and overpriced tools, most of which you'll never use than really doing good for the industry. Myself and countless others in the industry say the same thing when we all get together.,..... "If he's so great, then why is he not out there making real money like the rest of us"?

letterman7

Don't you think it would be a good nature to post what you figured out for future members? You did ask and wanted other to let you know and took time out to see if they could help!

Inside of the door frame is a rubber plug. Remove plug. Insert a T20 (I think) Torx head to the bolt directly inside the door. Hold onto the lock mechanism and turn the Torx head counterclockwise. You'll feel the lock mechanism loosen. As soon as it slips free, stop with the Torx. Pull the lock out, then pull the handle to you and out at the same time. Remove the rubber grommets off the door. Installation is reverse - the fitting of the lock back into place can be fiddly though.

Reveal1

Inside of the door frame is a rubber plug. Remove plug. Insert a T20 (I think) Torx head to the bolt directly inside the door. Hold onto the lock mechanism and turn the Torx head counterclockwise. You'll feel the lock mechanism loosen. As soon as it slips free, stop with the Torx. Pull the lock out, then pull the handle to you and out at the same time. Remove the rubber grommets off the door. Installation is reverse - the fitting of the lock back into place can be fiddly though.

Same process as with the Transit van.