• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2023: A Century of Neon in America

GJ Design

In 1923 a guy named Earle Anthony installed 2 signs at his L.A. Packard dealership, introducing neon to America. Contrary to many, neon is still alive & kicking - and soooo cool. To celebrate and to help promote many of the great neon fabricators I work with, I've been featuring some of my favorite neon sign designs in Northern Colorado & fun factoids about neon's cultural impact on my LinkedIn page:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/greg...Lr?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop.

Come check it out if you're a neon nerd like me or are in need of sign design services.

Here's a sample feature:

Project: 12 ft Tall x 6 ft Wide Neon Blade Sign
Client: Streets at Southglenn, Centennial CO
Conceptual Design: CommArts Boulder
Fabrication Drawings: Greg Jirik
Fabricator: Altitude Custom Signs, Ft. Collins CO (formerly Gardner Signs)
Year: 2009

IMG_4289.JPG

FreestyleSignCo

Love neon! We have very few people in our whole state who do it. Hate how when you look up "Neon Sign" on google now it's a bunch of faux neon LED lights.

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
but a little fragile. Easily damaged
I've seen neon signs that are decades old. There aren't a lot of signs put out today that have that kind of longevity. Gold Leaf is another that lasts. It's always fun to see either of these that are well done.

JBurton

Signtologist
Very cool for sure, but a little fragile. Easily damaged.
Not really, only when care isn't taken while handling it. Otherwise, you'd be amazed how resilient glass is. I got a request to remove this sign, hasn't been serviced since 2009 when it was installed, everything works... but guy wants us to store it until he's ready to do something with it. We'll likely hang it on our building until then, otherwise some dummy will likely bump into it.
1683660624452.png

ProSignTN

My and Harold went up on the mountain to retrieve a few sticks of glass about seven feet long with turn-backs. It was real cold and flickering snow, too wet for tape to stick. We laid each tube down in the grooves of the old Chevy truck bed and carefully sprinkled on log chain over the top. Didn't break a piece. Back in the day I serviced glass that was over seventy years old. Magnetek used to be Magnetek-Jefferson and before that just Jefferson. I replaced transformers so old they had a stamped metal plate with Jefferson mug on it.

neutrinocv

In 1923 a guy named Earle Anthony installed 2 signs at his L.A. Packard dealership, introducing neon to America. Contrary to many, neon is still alive & kicking - and soooo cool. To celebrate and to help promote many of the great neon fabricators I work with, I've been featuring some of my favorite neon sign designs in Northern Colorado & fun factoids about neon's cultural impact on my LinkedIn page:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/greg...Lr?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop.

Come check it out if you're a neon nerd like me or are in need of sign design services.

Here's a sample feature:

Project: 12 ft Tall x 6 ft Wide Neon Blade Sign
Client: Streets at Southglenn, Centennial CO
Conceptual Design: CommArts Boulder
Fabrication Drawings: Greg Jirik
Fabricator: Altitude Custom Signs, Ft. Collins CO (formerly Gardner Signs)
Year: 2009

View attachment 165257

Attachments

• 20220918_204124.jpg
    20220918_204124.jpg
    780.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220918_111241.jpg
    20220918_111241.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20220918_112601.jpg
    20220918_112601.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 62

GJ Design

Not really, only when care isn't taken while handling it. Otherwise, you'd be amazed how resilient glass is. I got a request to remove this sign, hasn't been serviced since 2009 when it was installed, everything works... but guy wants us to store it until he's ready to do something with it. We'll likely hang it on our building until then, otherwise some dummy will likely bump into it.
View attachment 165264
Agreed - I designed exterior neon signs over 20 years ago that are still in service. There are also a lot of great signs out there just waiting to have glass put back into them.

GJ Design

Parking Blade Shop Drawings

Attachments

• Parking arrow shop1.jpg
    Parking arrow shop1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • Parking arrow shop2.jpg
    Parking arrow shop2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • Parking arrow shop3.jpg
    Parking arrow shop3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47