• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

25 giant windows perfed...Best practice?

I've got 25, 8 foot tall 57 inch wide windows to cover in perf.

I've got the 64 inch perf coming...

I'm thinking go from the top to the bottom and leave about a quarter inch on all sides.

My co-worker which isn't doing the install...thinks I should go to the edge and then trim...I think this will consume a ton of time and maybe cause edge lifting...

Her reasoning is it will look better..while it may look better I think it will be a minimal benefit because all the windows are part of a larger graphic.

There are aluminum crosspieces between the windows about 3 inches wide so it will break up the quarter inch gaps.

Should I edge seal? It is going to be laminated per customer request.

Any other tips and hints as I have never done window perf this large before...Should I beg for a helper?

idsignsil

We do large window perf all the time. It is much easier if it is a little smaller than the rubber seal on the inside of the window. You will save a ton of time not having to trim all the edges and the install will be much easier. Have two guys for the install. Hold it in place and start at the top with about a 12" strip. Fold it down, cut the back off and apply that 12" upward. Roll the rest up from the bottom and then work your way down. This is what i have found works best for us.

So apply and then cut the backing off a 12 inch wide strip then roll up and work down?

Edit: cut the backing of a 12 inch wide strip and then apply that to the top

idsignsil

Yeah, start at the top and work down. It is the horizontal hinge method. We don't use tape because there is no space to tape to. Hold the perf up to the window and get it lined up. Now with two guys and four hands, hold it in place and fold down about 12" and peel the backer and cut it off. Now apply that top section and the perf should hang in the window on its own. Now you can roll it up from the bottom and work your way down. Hope that explains it a little better and makes sense.

Vinh1219

I will be doing a dealership soon. Do you guys wrap the Aluminum trim between each window ? Customer wants it wrap cause it looks better, but sounds like failure in the future. And reccomendation on wrapping aluminum trim with Perf ? Thanks

bigben

I will be doing a dealership soon. Do you guys wrap the Aluminum trim between each window ? Customer wants it wrap cause it looks better, but sounds like failure in the future. And reccomendation on wrapping aluminum trim with Perf ? Thanks

I've done it and it worked. After a year (with one winter) it's still there without any problems.

MikePro

wrapping the aluminum trim will increase your materials and double/triple your labor.

quickest/easiest way, is to have all your perf pre-trimmed 1/2" smaller than window dimensions for a 1/4" perimeter to edge seal, and just fly through application. dry apply all-day-long, you've gotta be pretty bad at application of you have to worry about creases/bubbles when applying perf.

however, if I am uncertain of the exact dimensions, I'd pre-trim with an extra inch and just set myself up to only have to trim two sides of the window onsite.

I would print to size, pre trim, align the top right corner, and trim the bottom and left sides. def. no water, I wouldn't want to leave a gap, and I would use my squeegee and olfa knife to trim the edges. if you have a really bad window seal/gasket, you can trim a sliver off before you get started to get a nicer cut. I just put my olfa out one click and a steady had will get it.