• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

26500 prints like **** under 10 pass

FS-Keith

We use mainly fdc and ritrama media for doing the basic coro, pvc, alum signs and the prints look like crap with anything under 10 pass. We have the profiles from the manufacturer. With my other printer the hp9000 it prints ok on 4 pass. This is costing me a ton for ink just to print freakin yard signs on. I doubt everyone has run into this. What the heck should i be looking at.

jayhawksigns

For me its been media. I run Key Banner at 6pass, tried a bunch of other banner materials and none of them will give good results in anything under 10pass.

FrankW

The comparison of passes between the 9000 and the 26500 is totally senseless because the print- and ink technology, the number of nozzles, the mechanical resolution and much more is different.

"Looks like crap" is nothing I can imagine, so I can't give hints. Are there problems with colors, dithering, banding? What RIP do you use? Its correct that some media can't be used with 6 Passes.

Best would be to do profiling yourself to manage teamwork of driver settings, ink limits, density and colors yourself on your machine

ProWraps

doesnt cost you hardly anything. use caldera... 10 pass is just about as low as you want to go on the latex for any type of quality.

Matt-Tastic

passes don't add ink. they don't cost you more money to run.

Now that we have that out of our system, The latex doesn't print well on bad media at any pass. I've printed banners in 4-pass on ultraflexx, and they come out great. Like Colorado said, they are different technologies, and therefore print differently. you're also paying more psf for the HP9000 prints (given list ink costs).

bigben

I print on ''regular'' vinyl and poster paper at 8 pass and have great results. I never did a poster over 8 pass.

FS-Keith

ok thanks everyone. It sure is a heck of a lot slower doing 10 pass on the latex then the 4 pass on the solvent. I dont mind it being slower when I am printing high dollar jobs, but it just stinks when We are doing yard signs going that slow. Other then that its a great machine

sballinger

Hold on a second, "Passes don't add ink"? I have accounting information from our LX850 that will prove that statement false. 18Pass bi-directional vs 14Pass bi-directional = 100ml difference in ink usage

HulkSmash

Now that we have that out of our system, The latex doesn't print well on bad media at any pass. I've printed banners in 4-pass on ultraflexx, and they come out great. Like Colorado said, they are different technologies, and therefore print differently. you're also paying more psf for the HP9000 prints (given list ink costs).

More Passes, does add more ink.. that's silly.

dypinc

The point of more passes is not necessarily to lay down more ink. Just because to can get away with laying down more ink with more passes does not mean you should.

The point of more passes with the Latex ink printer is to avoid coalescing of the ink and to make proper use of the heat on various media, as some media will not take as much curing heat and have to be in the curing longer with lower heat. You can also use unidirectional to slow down the print speed for longer drying and curing times.

Back to ink coalescing, some media will print great at 6 pass because they can handle the ink load just fine, but some media which cannot take a lot of ink without coalescing will need to be run at higher pass which actually allows less ink per pass and longer ink drying times.

The number of passes is really all about how the media handles heat and ink and not about print quality per say. With media that prints fine at 8 pass you won't see any print quality difference at 16 pass unless you're want to adjust light ink levels to avoid peppering and then need more drying time because of the increased ink load. However media that can't take a ink as well may needs to be printed at 16 pass will very noticeable suffer in print quality at 8 pass. Also you might want to create different setups and profiles for different jobs based on ink load and speed quality that is acceptable.

This is one of the greatest problems I have seen with canned profiles is that who even made these profiles often does not seam to really have a good understanding of relationship between media ink load, heat it will take, light ink curves and ink limits.

HulkSmash

The point of more passes is not necessarily to lay down more ink. Just because to can get away with laying down more ink with more passes does not mean you should.

The point of more passes with the Latex ink printer is to avoid coalescing of the ink and to make proper use of the heat on various media, as some media will not take as much curing heat and have to be in the curing longer with lower heat. You can also use unidirectional to slow down the print speed for longer drying and curing times.

Back to ink coalescing, some media will print great at 6 pass because they can handle the ink load just fine, but some media which cannot take a lot of ink without coalescing will need to be run at higher pass which actually allows less ink per pass and longer ink drying times.

The number of passes is really all about how the media handles heat and ink and not about print quality per say. With media that prints fine at 8 pass you won't see any print quality difference at 16 pass unless you're want to adjust light ink levels to avoid peppering and then need more drying time because of the increased ink load. However media that can't take a ink as well may needs to be printed at 16 pass will very noticeable suffer in print quality at 8 pass. Also you might want to create different setups and profiles for different jobs based on ink load and speed quality that is acceptable.

This is one of the greatest problems I have seen with canned profiles is that who even made these profiles often does not seam to really have a good understanding of relationship between media ink load, heat it will take, light ink curves and ink limits.

you get rid of coalescing, by adding more ink, because of more passes. It's all about print quality. 8 pass and 16 pass print much differently. 600 res or 1200 res.. it is all based on ink coverage. and obviously more ink, higher drying temps.. this is common sense. Obviously drying and curing temps play a big part, but when it comes to passes it does lay more ink.

As for can profiles, they're all awful.

Custom_Grafx

Takes longer. Time is money. Costs more.

Regarding ink usage, you could argue either way, depending on how you set up your profile. You could have a 4 pass profile that uses more ink than a 16 pass profile and vice versa, so you can't really think about passes having anything to do with ink usage really.

Takes longer. Time is money. Costs more.

Regarding ink usage, you could argue either way, depending on how you set up your profile. You could have a 4 pass profile that uses more ink than a 16 pass profile and vice versa, so you can't really think about passes having anything to do with ink usage really...

jazzdrum

ink usage in relation to passes

I thought passes have everything to do with the ink type and its relation to the media and said medias ability to handle that specific type of ink. I just got a latex printer (already being repaired, haven't got to run it yet :( ) after running mimaki's for over 10 years and the installer related passes to resolution to me - which may be the case for the HP and how it communicates with the rip but I've printed 720x720 @ 8 pass and 720x720 @ 16 pass on the mimaki and they use the same amount of ink, The reason for using more passes is to allow the media to 'take' the ink appropriately. Anyone who has printed solvent on pvc knows that if you print 4 pass bi-directional you'll have ink pooling/beading on the media - SO, you print unidirectional @ 16 pass - essentially laying down 1/16th of the ink @ 720x720 allowing the ink to 'bite' and set on the media before throwing down the next 1/16th of ink resulting in beautiful prints on pvc - either way 4 pass 720x720 uses the same amount of ink as 16 pass 720x720, where printing ANY number of passes at 360x720 will then use half the ink of said example. This has been my experience anyway, why my new hp ties the passes in with the profile is beyond me as with the mimaksi they were independent of each other.