• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

$3.000 joke!

johnny_loves_amy

Or we could all go back to the days before Design programs.. Nahhh, I think I will deal with whatever little problems come up with my Flexi 8.6 and work them out, or ask for help. I used to work for a company that done it the hard way.. I'll take my Flexi anyday

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I am not a Flexi fan, but price of software is based more on the number of copies sold and development cost. Adobe sells alot more copies and I think it's overpriced.

For those using Corel and tired of Flexi take a look at SignLab. The company is in the same town as Corel and they trade software engineers all the time. There are lots of similarities to Corel. I used it for 10 years to accuscan bitmaps, cut vinyl and route and prefered it over Flexi.

I learned Corel first and can't stand other design software. There are lots of great programs out there, it's just hard to change once you know and adapt the the software.

vectorterrorist

Flexi, Love it when my competition has it, Rock On.

Me too...in the short time I have been doing this...I have cleaned up on my competition who use flexi...and cant get thier colors dialed to save thier life (or business)

I use flexi every day (at my day job for highway sign building) but you wont ever catch me using it for my personal rip program...for 3k it doesnt flow as smoothly as it should (feels like it's behind the times) just my STINKY opinion...It'd be awsome is Adobe did a rip program through Illustrator.

Jim Doggett

Bro... you can have good advice, but seriously. The e-machine is one of the worst built computers to ever hit the market. Plus, I have used Flexi for almost as long as Corel, and have to say for designing Flexi isn't even in the same league as Corel, or Illustrator (been using Illy for 9 years now). Color management is weak, majority of the tools are amateurish, monitor colors are horrible.... just a really "thrown together" program.

I think I'd agree. More and more, CAS software is a bridge program. I see their value in machine-controls, such as cutters and routers. But for designing, CorelDRAW, Illustrator, Photoshop, they're all amazingly powerful tools ... and handy to have around when adding staff. Folks down at the art schools aren't teaching Flexi or SignLab.

One exception might be EDGE-users and screen printers. CAS programs are still better at spot-color seps.

So I tend to agree with the original post; it's pretty dang spendy considering its place in (value to) the workflow.

IMHO,

Jim

fozzyber

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Flexi has problems. look at there latest change / fix log.
I have even talked to a software engineer there once and she admitted they released 8.1 with a major profiling bug because they did not have time to fix it before the release date.
the color size of thing has been a major problem. Sense V8 i think they went to a new color engine and have been fighting to get it to work and work correctly with older profiles.
I have had color shifting in certain profiles between updates.
Are they getting better? I hope so.
Do they have issues? Yes.
Should they recommend a "certified" hardware list? Yes
Admittedly i don't like Flexi ( for more reasons than the software) but it is what I use And yes it has problems more than PEBKAC.

Jerry

Jim Doggett

...It'd be awsome is Adobe did a rip program through Illustrator.

Wasatch is outstanding. In a past life I had occasion to witness an extensive RIP comparison. When it came to print-quality, Wasatch trumped them all. Flexi's RIP in particular was pretty marginal ... the magenta-gain and poor halftones were really apparent when reviewed side-by-side with output from standalone RIP programs.

If Adobe were to add a RIP, I'd advise them to license code from Wasatch.

Jim

Tony Rome

Ok so can someone clear something up....what is the next best after flexi?
With so "many" complaints what are the anti flexi guys using?

I am using Corel and export to .eps then open it in Versaworks. Is there something better I should try?
Thanks!