• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3 post v-shaped install?

max

hello all,
was wondering if anyone help me determine if i need to plan to use stringers on a sign i need to install.
it is a 4"x4" coroplast sign like all realtors do these days as it is v-shaped so its actually 2 4'x4' corplasts.
gonna be mounted on 3 (4"x4") posts. do you think i need to use a stringer across the top and bottom of the coroplast sheets or will the coro be strong enough to hold up for a while without stringers?
thanks for any advice...
it will look like this... vshape01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, without any kind of backing boards, I think you're building a problem waiting to happen. Stringers alone won't cut it. They might hold up for a while, but it's not a professional approach at all.

Think about it..... what did the first two little piggies build their houses out of ??

max

i see what you are saying. it seems as though i see a fair amount of them made out of coro.
never really paid attention to if it had a peice of plywood for a backer. i guess i always assumed it was stringers...

max

but also keep in mind that it is definitely not permanent. do you think it will hold up for a year with just stringers?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I don't believe I've ever seen one made from Coroplast.

If I was doing it, I would mount it on a solid backer (plywood, etc).

2B

I don't believe I've ever seen one made from Coroplast.

If I was doing it, I would mount it on a solid backer (plywood, etc).

+1

a sheet of ACM is what we use. This will not need to use a backing

You can also use 10MM Cor-Plast, which will not need a backing if you have to stay with Cor-Plast

a sheet of ACM is what we use. This will not need to use a backing

You can also use 10MM Cor-Plast, which will not need a backing if you have to stay with Cor-Plast[/QUOTE]

+1

4mm on 4x4's will blow over in no time without support.

Coro life is 1 year, do they expect you to pull these signs and reuse?

+1 to acm. We use metal max from grimco. We buy air release vinyl from http://insignia-signs.com merchant member here.

Also +1 to 10mm. $64 total for two 4x4 Single Sided > 10 Mil with laminate from signs365. shipping is tricky tho on 4x4. Insignia or other merchant members may be able to help you there too. Buy a big squeegee- also merchant member.

CanuckSigns

If you are going to use 4mm coro, you MUST use a solid plywood backer, screws will pull out of coro in even a small wind unless there is something solid to back it with.

if I was building this sign, I would run a v groove down the back of some 3mm ACP and bend it around the front post, it will add tons of strength to the sign and look much nicer in the end.

Pat Whatley

ACM or 10mm coro, quicker, easier, and looks better.

You can do it out of 4mm coro without a backer (or if you've already done it) but it's gonna look bad in no time at all. If you do this use lath screws to attach it. They've got large heads, almost like a built in washer. Sink them snug and cover with a vinyl dot. I've had them up for over a year like this. The biggest problem is the coro is going to expand and contract a good bit so it will be bowed in or buckled out all the time.....usually both at the same time.

Also, if you do it with just stringers make sure you add the vertical pieces to the posts so you've got an even surface on all four sides to screw in to.

Attachments

• aaas.jpg
    aaas.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 136