• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

30 inch printer???

steveo44125

Does anyone know of any companies that make a 30 inch printer that can cut as well. Im really new to this stuff and im looking into making motocross graphics. Can anyone help me with what I need? Thanks!

ChiknNutz

A Roland SP-300 is one (inkjet). Another is the Summa DC4sx (thermal printer). There is also the older Roland thermal printers, but most are considered to be junk. I think Gerber made or maybe still makes one too, but I think that particular one is/was kind of a dud (not the Edge, Jetster maybe). One of the most difficult aspects of m/c graphics is having adequate pressure to cut the tough material. As such, you will likely need to pursue a more capable cutter, so that alllows you to look at other printers that are printers only (Mimaki, Mutoh, etc).

hoppers

This has to be an F'in joke. People PLEASE quit responding to these idiot noobs. All of a sudden people are feeling sorry for bashing newbies for asking idiot questions and trying to be nice and they do stuff like this.

I still think it is a joke, Fred/Stacey - please ban this guy for not google searching if he is even real.

Just by googling "30 inch printer" you get all the info you need about Roland as the Summa. And by searching s101 you will see a ton of info on these printers and comparisons.

I came in here looking for a 30 inch printer and read for weeks without asking a SINGLE question and found about 75% of what I needed. Then asked s101'ers and got the other 25% I needed.

Not this what type, where and how much spoon fed krap they are looking for. BRING back the NEWBIE HAZING!!!!!

For one tip as for where and price, its called going to the Roland website like most of us did - looking up dealers and calling them, going to visit them and haggling on price to see which is best and knows there stuff. Not one dealer has the best price, its like buying a car when you are dealing with $$thousands of dollars$$ here and each dealer is different...

~~~~~~~~

And no I wont respond to ONE thing on this thread since Im sure this "newbie" will try to attack me and get a rise out of me, if he/she is even real.

Jim Doggett

Does anyone know of any companies that make a 30 inch printer that can cut as well. Im really new to this stuff and im looking into making motocross graphics. Can anyone help me with what I need? Thanks!

I'd suggest a Summa DC4sx, insofar as MX graphics are, essentially, smaller-format decals.

With inkjet (Roland, Mutoh, Mimaki, etc.), you'll need to laminate. So integrated print-cut, which the Roland VersaCAMM employs, is pretty-much moot. It's a print-remove-let dry-laminate-reload in machine-do a contour cut-weed-apply process. For larger-format graphics, inkjet rules; no question.

But with decals, Summa's DC4sx, a print-cut thermal transfer system, is ideal. Thermal transfer resins do not require lamination, making it a better print-cut solution. It's truly a print-cut-weed-apply process. Also, no drying time. Eco solvents need a day to dry/out-gas before laminating. So it's slower under the best of circumstances ... and slower still if you botch a sticker and have to reprint a section. With the Summa machine, just reprint the botched piece and immediately apply. It adds minutes to your production schedule instead of another day.

My $0.02,

Jim Doggett

What website would you guys recommend buying from or what store?

New: www.summastore.com (DC4sx); www.signsupplyusa.com (Roland VersaCAMM); www.signwarehouse.com (Mutoh printer / Graphtec cutter ... OEM versions that are lower-cost than branded Mutoh and Graphtec products). Caveat, if doing a separate print-then-cut process, a Graphtec with ARMS or Summa with OPOS X are the only cutters I'd suggest. Accuracy is king with controu-cutting; Summa and Graphtec are the only cutters, in my opinion, with the tolerances you'll want.

Used: www.craigslist.com, www.ebay.com, and the various sign industry Web sites ... which I'll not name here. It would be inappropriate to promote competitor sites on this site.

If it were me, I'd look in the used market first. The economy has no doubt made it difficult for some; and you'd get a great deal and help someone out by buying from a private party.

Best,

Jim Doggett

All MX graphics need overlam.

I wouldn't disagree with the sagacity of your advice. But I do know of many thermal transfer printer users (Summa DC-class, ColorCAMM and Gerber EDGE) that do not laminate MX and the like graphics ... with no complaints of which I'm aware.

If clearcoating after applying decals, unlaminated cast vinyl decals ROCKS! My Kawi ZX-10R's decals are thus. Way cool.

Best,