• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

300 or 600 DPI?

In this day and age of 1400 dpi printers what do you normally print at? Is there a "normal" print setting anyway? Would it be unwise to set to print at 600x300 dpi on most things? Keep in mind I've only been doing small 1 -2 inch decals and did my first semi truck print today.. Newbie here so i get to ask all the dumb questions I can!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Linear fill on the letters and facets hardly noticable in the pictures..

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonx

It depends on your application. If your doing billboards 360dpi. If your doing general indoor work 720dpi. Maybe for really small things or really really fine work 1440dpi.

You need to find what quality is acceptable for the use intended and viewing distance.

This has nothing to do with the Gerber just printing in general.

Signalaugh

Height and Distance

Depends on Height and Distance. 1440 sounds like it would take too long. My Summa also has a setting for Lines per inch. A lot of times the most we need is 72 dpi. And that still gives qualtiy work. It is not photo print sharp but still strong colour and resolution for someone standing 5 feet away.

99,9 percent of people are there to read the sign not stare at pixelization. I think 1440 is there for the signmaker not the client.

signpro

Manager
same here. on our roland its always on NORMAL (720x720) or FAST (360x720) and then the files i send it also dictate final quality. i've used the HIGH QUALITY (1200) setting a few times, for some pictures for me and friends on photo paper, and sometimes even for banners with actual images on them, but only for me/friends. other banners all get normal or fast and nobody notices anything with quality, other than "WOW! That looks great!" when they pick it up