• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

310 keeps switching IP address?

r2prints

Hello all,

Having this weird problem with my 310. For the most part, it is fine and goes without a hitch. I few weeks ago I was printing a nest job, 2 panels, about 10 feet long. All of the sudden, about halfway through the 2nd panel, it stopped printing and Flexi said "Cannot Open Port". Thought that was strange. Resent the job and Flexi would not communicate with the printer. Long story short, the IP address switched. So I updated the port, etc etc.

Fast forward to this week, I have had it happen 3 times in 24 hours. Luckily, it was before anything started printing. The IP will only tick by 1 digit. It was setup as 10.0.0.5 when I first got the printer at the end of December. So now it will switch to 10.0.0.6 or 8 or 15 etc. Is there a setting that I am overlooking? I didn't play with it after the tech set it up until it switched the first time out of nowhere and I got it back up and running. And all I did then was look for the updated IP address so I could enter it in Flexi.

I am hardwired directly into a router.

I don't feel comfortable sending long runs right now with it acting like this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS- I think it's time for a Premium membership for this guy. This forum has been a great help. Thank you to all that contribute.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I don't work on these machines but I do know they use DHCP. I would look in the printer menus to see if you can change the networking method to a static IP address instead of DHCP AKA Dynamic IP address. This way the printer tells the router what it's IP address is instead of the other way around. If that is not an option, you will have to go into the router and assign an IP address to the printer specifically so that it gives it the same one every time.

TomK

I don't work on these machines but I do know they use DHCP. I would look in the printer menus to see if you can change the networking method to a static IP address instead of DHCP AKA Dynamic IP address. This way the printer tells the router what it's IP address is instead of the other way around. If that is not an option, you will have to go into the router and assign an IP address to the printer specifically so that it gives it the same one every time.

As others said, sounds like it is set for DHCP, and it renews an address based on whatever renewal setting is in your router. If you know the IP, you can also change it via the web interface on the printer, via http://ip.address.goes.here

If you don't know the IP, you need to go into the LCD screen under setup and networking, change it to static IP and assign an IP address to it.

You'll also want to make sure the IP you statically assign to it doesn't get handed out via DHCP from your router, or you will continue to have problems.

Hope that helps!

r2prints

It has been set on DHCP, there is also a "BOOTP, AUTO IP, and MANUAL" setting I can toggle. Would AUTO IP be another term for static?

Thanks for the reply!

r2prints

As others said, sounds like it is set for DHCP, and it renews an address based on whatever renewal setting is in your router. If you know the IP, you can also change it via the web interface on the printer, via http://ip.address.goes.here

If you don't know the IP, you need to go into the LCD screen under setup and networking, change it to static IP and assign an IP address to it.

You'll also want to make sure the IP you statically assign to it doesn't get handed out via DHCP from your router, or you will continue to have problems.

Hope that helps!

Seems like the safest bet is to dig into the router settings and tell it to leave the printer alone. Thank you!

dypinc

It has been set on DHCP, there is also a "BOOTP, AUTO IP, and MANUAL" setting I can toggle. Would AUTO IP be another term for static?

Thanks for the reply!

No, set it to MANUAL.

Then go to your router and there will be a MAC address with that IP address. Reserve that IP address in the router and nothing will bother with that IP address again. You will have a better connection that way.

AF

You need to do all of the above but with every machine on the network. Nothing can be set to DHCP or conflicts can arise. Make a simple spreadsheet of each machine and its IP address you assign so that you don't use the same one twice and so that you can fix problems later easily.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You need to do all of the above but with every machine on the network. Nothing can be set to DHCP or conflicts can arise. Make a simple spreadsheet of each machine and its IP address you assign so that you don't use the same one twice and so that you can fix problems later easily.
This isn't true... You can set a Static reserve table on almost every Router. This allows you to set static IPs in a range that the DHCP protocol can't use.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Agreed and on most routers you can also set IP reservations by adding the devices MAC address on the router. Then you can leave the device set as DHCP and the router will always give it the same IP. Personally I prefer to set the DHCP scope on the router to be for a specific internal range, for example 192.168.1.150-192.168.1.254. Anything DHCP will get an IP in that range and then I keep a master spreadsheet of things with static IP's and those are always assigned in the range from .2 through .149 (the router itself will be .1). I prefer to always set any servers and non-desktop computer devices to static IP's which for us is a LOT of things.

dypinc

I prefer to always set any servers and non-desktop computer devices to static IP's which for us is a LOT of things.

Is this kind of a contradiction to what you said in the previous sentence.

I always feel that setting the static (manual) IP in a printing device especially anything that needs a lot of a constant bandwidth to be best practice, eliminating any possible network interference from DHCP attempting a renewal of the IP address.