• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant 33"x127" Metal Sign Faces

bannertime

First off, what a stupid size. Second, anyone know where to get 72in x 144in .063?

I'm not holding my breath on this quote. One of those jobs that's borderline "no-go." Someone designed and installed a 5 slot multi-tenant sign but no faces. Now we're being asked to finish the job. Yeah, one of those jobs. The original specs call for 33x127 .063 alum (which goes back to my first point). It's got no electrical in it, but I'm wondering if it'd be better to use poly-carbonate anyway.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Would 3mm ACM work for the 33" x 144" ?? That comes 61" x 151". The 72" x 144" I don't think you'll find in metal.

2B

so you want a 72 x 144 and cut to size of 2) 33 x 127?

biggest I know of is 60 x 144.
maybe contact a metal supplier?

MikePro

.063 at that scale? sounds pretty floppy.
anyhow,
+1 contact a metal supplier. I've gotten 72x144 in 0.125" before, no reason they won't have that size for .063.

henryz

So the face slides in on a retainer/ divider bar? you should be able to find it that size we even order custom sizes down here. It's a big price difference to use polycarb, .080 will be less expensive than that. I don't see why acm wouldn't work

bannertime

Would 3mm ACM work for the 33" x 144" ?? That comes 61" x 151". The 72" x 144" I don't think you'll find in metal.

The finished size is 33x127 so I was hoping to get a 72x144 to make two signs per panel. I did explain to them that ACM is our primary rigid board and that we'd provide a quote for it as well.

so you want a 72 x 144 and cut to size of 2) 33 x 127?
maybe contact a metal supplier?

Exactly, and 60x144 is all I can find. I have seen a 72x120 before, but I can't remember where.

Well that sucks that it's a hair over 10'. I think I'd have to go with the poly.

That's what I said. Why it's such a stupid size. 30x120 would have been so easy! I'm thinking we'll quote poly as well.

.063 at that scale? sounds pretty floppy.
anyhow,
+1 contact a metal supplier. I've gotten 72x144 in 0.125" before, no reason they won't have that size for .063.

We're quoting ACM and now polycarbonate because I'm not a fan of sheet metals anyway. If I could get a supplier to cut the .125 to size, that'd be nice. 10 total pieces.

So the face slides in on a retainer/ divider bar? you should be able to find it that size we even order custom sizes down here. It's a big price difference to use polycarb, .080 will be less expensive than that. I don't see why acm wouldn't work

It would, except there are 2 panels per slot (double sided like a regular sign cabinet). So if I have to use 1 sheet of 4x12 per sign, then poly will likely end up at a better price.

I had a company quote me 5x14 the other day. I think it was Ryerson here in LR, but I'd bet there's other metal distributors that have coils handy. But that's .125, 063 will get folded in half by the wind at that size.
ACM or lumalite?

I agree. The customer wants to get a quote on spec. I've already voiced my opinion to them which I normally keep pretty unbiased, but this just boggles my mind.

bannertime

Was the sign engineered to have faces? Maybe it's a cost cutting strategy on the foundation materials... Hopefully you are taking the bottom slot or one that has a face below it

The sign was built and installed within the past few months. There were no sign faces provided. I wasn't able to get the whole story, besides "nah we want you to do the faces." They even showed me a layout that the other company had done. Which I asked again, why not just have him finish the job? There was some mumbling. So my understanding is that the original guy was probably waiting on artwork to make the sign faces so they never made/installed them. Then there may have been a second sign company that offered a "free" site inspection and ghosted them. I believe I'm the third. So if the quote doesn't get approved to my exact terms, we'll let this one go.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's only $113 from Nglantz if you need two panels...$154 if
The finished size is 33x127 so I was hoping to get a 72x144 to make two signs per panel. I did explain to them that ACM is our primary rigid board and that we'd provide a quote for it as well.

Exactly, and 60x144 is all I can find. I have seen a 72x120 before, but I can't remember where.

That's what I said. Why it's such a stupid size. 30x120 would have been so easy! I'm thinking we'll quote poly as well.

We're quoting ACM and now polycarbonate because I'm not a fan of sheet metals anyway. If I could get a supplier to cut the .125 to size, that'd be nice. 10 total pieces.

It would, except there are 2 panels per slot (double sided like a regular sign cabinet). So if I have to use 1 sheet of 4x12 per sign, then poly will likely end up at a better price.

I agree. The customer wants to get a quote on spec. I've already voiced my opinion to them which I normally keep pretty unbiased, but this just boggles my mind.

The poly for both of those panels is only $115/ea. from NGlantz. Probably going to be the best bet...and will be thicker then 063. No fooling around trying to find some weird board size...they got the poly in stock and will have it to your door that afternoon.

Last edited:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Eastern Metal Supply carries it and they just opened a distribution center in Arlington.

bannertime

Reece has a "channel letter" backer 3mm .20 ACM panel that's 78x144. So it's barely any less waste than using a 48x144 sheet. Which I can't even find. It's either 48x120 or 60x144.