• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3551RA on bumpers

GP

Disregarding the complex curves - should be using a cast vinyl argument, is 3551RA on bumpers a sin?

Again, we know, it's made for flat surfaces. This was not in a contoured area. And the vinyl has only been on for 3-4 months.

The vinyl is supposed to be removable up to 4 years and we just got a second damaged vehicle back because it pulled the paint.

I am also aware that oracal adhesive tends to be more aggressive, but this is a problem.

Thoughts?

Letterbox Mike

I definitely wouldn't use it on bumpers (leaving the no calendered vinyl argument alone). It's got a more aggressive adhesive than 3751 or other true wrap films, and it's going to shrink up significantly more, so I'd guess that combination is probably pulling up the underlying paint, or the paint is not bonded to the urethane bumper well enough to hold up to the shrinking and expanding vinyl with that aggressive adhesive.

HulkSmash

Disregarding the complex curves - should be using a cast vinyl argument, is 3551RA on bumpers a sin?

Again, we know, it's made for flat surfaces. This was not in a contoured area. And the vinyl has only been on for 3-4 months.

The vinyl is supposed to be removable up to 4 years and we just got a second damaged vehicle back because it pulled the paint.

I am also aware that oracal adhesive tends to be more aggressive, but this is a problem.

Thoughts?

I've had oracals wrap vinyl pull paint off.. that stuff is sticky..I can imagine the calendered version of it.
Overall just try and stick to cast on vehicles.