• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

39 Olympic Logos From 1924 to 2012

Billct2

Interesting to see the progression...IMO two of the worst are the two current ones...what is that...the Stonehenge Olympian?

Flame

Torino was cool... the London one is utterly hideous and the creator of that logo should be hung by his toenails.

Just sayin...

Billct2

Watson, that is interestinh to see the story behind it, but if a logo needs an explanatory note, so you know what it's about, how effective is it?

signmeup

Interesting to see the progression...IMO two of the worst are the two current ones...what is that...the Stonehenge Olympian?
That's an Inukshuk. Northern Canadian people built them as indicators that they had been to a place and as landmarks in the desolate areas they lived. Actually there are 2 on the way to Halifax on the main highway here in NS. It's kind of an ancient version of "kilroy was here". Quite a good concept for a great big gathering of people from all over. The design is a matter of taste.

signmeup

Watson, that is interestinh to see the story behind it, but if a logo needs an explanatory note, so you know what it's about, how effective is it?
The US flag is a good story but means nothing to anyone unless you tell it to them. What do the stripes signify again? :Canada:

Billct2

The Stars & Stripes are instantly recogonized, as is the Maple Leaf, the Union Jack, the Rising Sun etc...
So any design incorporating a known icon will identify it's origin, you don't need to know it's origin.
Take the letters away from that logo and show it to a hundred people outside of Canada, Greenland and Alaska and see how many will know what it is or where it represents.

CES020

I think Rick must have done the summer 1964, and was probably hired as an advisor to help with the winter 1972 :clapping:

signmeup

The Stars & Stripes are instantly recogonized, as is the Maple Leaf, the Union Jack, the Rising Sun etc...
So any design incorporating a known icon will identify it's origin, you don't need to know it's origin.
Take the letters away from that logo and show it to a hundred people outside of Canada, Greenland and Alaska and see how many will know what it is or where it represents.
This is true....but you have to start some where. These icons were all unknown when they were introduced.

CanuckSigns

The Inukshuk is instantly recognizable in Canada, it may just be a case of not realizing that it's not known throughout the world, Like The Tragically Hip, who is probally the biggest Canadian rock band, but pretty much unheard of outside of Canada.
Oh well.:Canada 2:

GP

I like Innsbruck 67.

Can't help but think the logos for Montreal 76 and Moscow 1980 are flipping me the bird.