• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3d digitizing

Buddy

Anybody using a digitizing probe to measure objects such as vehicles, boxes, areas etc? If so what brand of probe and software.

For example: Customer pulls into parking lot wants back glass lettered. Obviously you can photograph the window and translate that into measurements. Easy enough.

But say I would rather use a digital probe to touch the window or area in order to create measurements.

Any info appreciated....

4R Graphics

Digitizing with a probe is a very time consuming process that is usually only used to collect information for a 3d object such as a statue.

For something simple like the window do what you first said.

when you digitize something you need to use the cnc machine to collect the points in space relative to the cnc xyz locations so what ever you are digitizing needs to fit on your cnc.

this will create a point cloud which will need to be converted to a 3d mesh/model.

There are other ways and systems out there but they are very expensive.

You can also use a hand held 3d scanner to make a 3d model of your object then do what you need to do with it in a 3d program this is much faster and cheaper than digitizing.

Just my 2 cents.

Buddy

Digitizing with a probe is a very time consuming process that is usually only used to collect information for a 3d object such as a statue.

For something simple like the window do what you first said.

when you digitize something you need to use the cnc machine to collect the points in space relative to the cnc xyz locations so what ever you are digitizing needs to fit on your cnc.

this will create a point cloud which will need to be converted to a 3d mesh/model.

There are other ways and systems out there but they are very expensive.

You can also use a hand held 3d scanner to make a 3d model of your object then do what you need to do with it in a 3d program this is much faster and cheaper than digitizing.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, thanks. The vehicle window was a lame example and not really how I would use 3d digitizing. A 3d scanner would be good perhaps a portable scanner with associated software. I actually thought there would be several on this forum that are already doing this and could speed up the research process.

I've watched a local company / individual use a 3d digitizer of sorts when creating a virtual 3d image or grid for a boat cover. Not just any boat (like cheapie boat) but high end several hundred thousand dollar boats. So expense was not a issue. He had a portable 'machine' of some sort and a hand held probe that contacted the boat where he chose to create what I suppose are nodes or node information used to create the grid in the software program. Then he would make a one-off custom perfectly fit boat cover super custom that included the seat tops, bridge, wheel, throttle, motor, transom, bow and on and on.

I had in mind using something similar to measure / digitize various items intended to wrap. Could be vehicles or motorcycles, boxes, or anything.

Just started searching and exploring for information today.

thanks.........any input appreciated.

BUDDY