• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3D Software that will map to a 2D Plane for printing on Hydrographic film

studebaker

Deluded Artist
I have a customer that wants me to map his 3D model to a 2D plane so that I can print that layout on my 2D Hydrographic film so he can dip/apply it to his 3D prints. My max print area for the film is 4 ft x 8 ft.

He is beginning to print 3D models of his Duck Decoys, and he saw a video on youtube about dipping to a 3D object, and wants me to print film specifically for his decoys.

He is a regular hydrographic film customer and I want to do everything I can do to make him happy. Normally I just print a generic feather patterns for him and he fills in the other areas with airbrushing.

So, the question is, Does anybody know of a software that will "Flatten" a 3D model? The 3D models he sent me are .stl and .blender formats. :banghead:

[video=youtube;YlUhPrAqiY0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUhPrAqiY0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I need to do this... Create a texture map from an existing 3D duck decoy object. Since we can now print the 3D objects, we need a cheap and quick way to decorate them other than hand painting them.

Attachments

• bp2.jpg
    bp2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,702
Last edited by a moderator:

rubo

the answer is right there in your explanation - BodyPaint 3D will do it, so will Animation Master, it's called uv mapping

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think flattening the model will be about the easiest part of this.
Just about all 3d applications have UV wrapping tools to do the flattening out so you can paint on a texture map that will line up with the features of the model.
Many allow you to paint directly on the model
In the video they are using something new to take your map and compensate for the stretching of the printed film as the object is dipped.
Looks like some heavy math - really interesting.

wayne k
guam usa

studebaker

Deluded Artist
that or sketchup.. tons of 3rd party rendering options

Thanks, my objective is to "Unwrap" an existing 3D model with paint/color information to print to custom printed hydrographic film so that it can be dipped onto a physical 3D printed model. I don't need to render it, we are creating physical objects that needs decorating accurately and efficiently.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
I need to generate a flat texture map of an already existing 3D Blender model. Similar to this Duck Model...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Duck Model.jpg
    Duck Model.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 455

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Shouldn't be too long before they figure out how to dip a vehicle - then the next generation of Old Paint will be on here talking about the good old days when he had to wrap them by hand using vinyl )))))))))))))))))))))

wayne k
guam usa

studebaker

Deluded Artist
It can be done in Blender Youtube has a bunch of videos that break it down pretty good.

wayne k
guam usa

This is definately what I was looking for... The model is already a Blender model. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

Someone from this forum gave me this insight...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_mapping#UV_programs

It seems that a couple of those programs will work for what I'm needing to do.

So if anybody wants to try this for their 3D model decoration, send me your texturemap and I'll print it on hydrographic film for you to try for yourself! I'll even send a few copies so you can practice and get the the ink positioned just right.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Just an update, the Blender program seems to be doing the trick! Thank you everybody for your input and suggestions.