• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3D Text Software? Something that will let me design a 'curved face' on a font?

Todd-sta

Anybody using any third party 3D text software that can be used in conjunction with Photoshop? I know that Photoshop *Extended* version has this capability, but it seems pricey, even for an upgrade. What other good alternatives are there out there.

Also, curious if any has the ability to create a letter with a vertically tapered front face while keeping the back of the letter 'straight'... think in terms of a chrome automotive style emblem on a car.

Something that would allow me to do a curved 'text face' like this:

Attachments

• Tapered Chrome Letters.jpg
    Tapered Chrome Letters.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 75

MikePro

photoshop:
edit>transform>warp?

i'll usually do the warp in illustrator, however, to keep the vectored format of the warped text.

illustrator:
object>envelope distort>mesh

Todd-sta

Hi MikePro - can you post a quickie example showing the result of this which would simulate the photo I attached... I am familiar with Illustrator's 'Warp' and "envelope mesh".... but not seeing how this would achieve the goal.... thanks for your help ! :thumb:

Circleville Signs

I'm with Todd. That type of effect will be very difficult to achieve simply from using the warp and envelope features in Illy. You would need to use those features in conjunction with drawing in the rest of it. Then it could be possible.

WI

In my experience, there's a pretty sharp division between 2d and 3d art programs. That's not to say that there's absolutely nothing out there, but what 3d plug-ins I've seen for Photoshop and Illustrator tend to be these goofy, hacky messes that give you average results at best.

That said, you might look into SketchUp, or Blender if you're a techie. Both of those are free.

John Butto

Illustrator

This is a quickie but it is in 3D extrude and bevel. Type letters, outline, symbols, 3D, create cylinder, map and tweek. Time 3 minutes

Todd-sta

This is a quickie but it is in 3D extrude and bevel. Type letters, outline, symbols, 3D, create cylinder, map and tweek. Time 3 minutes

Hi John - thanks for that attempt.. I actually ran a 'test' letter through Illy's Effect/3D/Extrusion & Bevel filter to give the letter dimension... and then 'arc'd' it through the Effects/Warp/Arch function....

It was pretty rudimentary and it didn't give me the non-arched side edges, top and bottom edges and back plane that I want.

Looks to me like a program such as SolidWorks, Rhino, Lightwave, or 3D Studio max would be able to do it... but I don't want to invest $3K and 4 years of schooling to get'r done.

I surely appreciate your effort though... it was worth a shot. Thanks. :thumb: