Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Text Software? Something that will let me design a 'curved face' on a font?

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by Todd-sta, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Todd-sta

Todd-sta Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    Anybody using any third party 3D text software that can be used in conjunction with Photoshop? I know that Photoshop *Extended* version has this capability, but it seems pricey, even for an upgrade. What other good alternatives are there out there.

Also, curious if any has the ability to create a letter with a vertically tapered front face while keeping the back of the letter 'straight'... think in terms of a chrome automotive style emblem on a car.

Something that would allow me to do a curved 'text face' like this:

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    photoshop:
    edit>transform>warp?

i'll usually do the warp in illustrator, however, to keep the vectored format of the warped text.

illustrator:
    object>envelope distort>mesh

3. Todd-sta

Todd-sta Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    Hi MikePro - can you post a quickie example showing the result of this which would simulate the photo I attached... I am familiar with Illustrator's 'Warp' and "envelope mesh".... but not seeing how this would achieve the goal.... thanks for your help ! :thumb:

4. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    I'm with Todd. That type of effect will be very difficult to achieve simply from using the warp and envelope features in Illy. You would need to use those features in conjunction with drawing in the rest of it. Then it could be possible.

5. WI

WI Member

Nov 7, 2012
    In my experience, there's a pretty sharp division between 2d and 3d art programs. That's not to say that there's absolutely nothing out there, but what 3d plug-ins I've seen for Photoshop and Illustrator tend to be these goofy, hacky messes that give you average results at best.

That said, you might look into SketchUp, or Blender if you're a techie. Both of those are free.

6. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Illustrator

This is a quickie but it is in 3D extrude and bevel. Type letters, outline, symbols, 3D, create cylinder, map and tweek. Time 3 minutes

7. Todd-sta

Todd-sta Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Lansing, MI
    Hi John - thanks for that attempt.. I actually ran a 'test' letter through Illy's Effect/3D/Extrusion & Bevel filter to give the letter dimension... and then 'arc'd' it through the Effects/Warp/Arch function....

It was pretty rudimentary and it didn't give me the non-arched side edges, top and bottom edges and back plane that I want.

Looks to me like a program such as SolidWorks, Rhino, Lightwave, or 3D Studio max would be able to do it... but I don't want to invest $3K and 4 years of schooling to get'r done.

I surely appreciate your effort though... it was worth a shot. Thanks. :thumb:

8. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    This will do it easily:
    http://moi3d.com/

This will also do it - more expensive, but will and allow you to design most of the major components of the car you putting them on if needed:
    http://www.rhino3d.com/

wayne k
    guam usa