• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m 1080 for wrap "and" cut lettering ?

Tony McD

Customer with a seadoo wants a couple parts wrapped with red metallic...but
also wants some cut lettering in the same color.
Has anyone used the 3m 1080 wrap vinyl for cut lettering?
Will the 1080 have enough tac to stay on?
Could get some red metallic in 180c for the cut lettering?
Hate to buy both for such a small job if not needed.
Thanks,
Tony

Baz

I don't know about the 3M vinyl but i wrap with Avery 1005 and also use it for print/cut vehicle graphics.

To make sure it sticks properly i always flash it with a torch after it is installed. (but don't squeegee over it after you heat it up!).

I would try it if i was in your situation.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We have used the 1080 red for cut graphics - works fine unless the lettering is small and or too detailed.

Desert_Signs

I've done it, works fine.

With one MAJOR caveat.

The brushed metal is very very hard to get mask to stick. We had a customer who wanted his vehicle lettered in 1080 brushed steel and brushed titanium. It probably took 3 hours to do what would normally have been a 20 minute job.

T_K

As long as it's not super thin lettering, I don't see any issues. The only trouble I've had with using cut wrap vinyl (Avery 1005 SC) was with pinstripes or thin tails. But that could also be an installation issue, not a problem with the vinyl itself.

boxerbay

we do it all the time.

Attachments

• 20151018_154604.jpg
    20151018_154604.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 158

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I really don't get why this is a question....if it sticks to the car as a sheet, why do you think it won't stick if you cut out some shapes? It's still the same vinyl!

Christian @ 2CT Media

I've done it, works fine.

With one MAJOR caveat.

The brushed metal is very very hard to get mask to stick. We had a customer who wanted his vehicle lettered in 1080 brushed steel and brushed titanium. It probably took 3 hours to do what would normally have been a 20 minute job.

For the brushed/textured cut vinyl jobs we use orafol OTape and a IR Heater right before installing and that seems to stick well to the app paper.