• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 1080 wrap vinyl problems

Michael Chaston

Grizzlie Signs
Recently wrapped a 52ft boat in 3M matt Metallic brown, and struggled. I've been wrapping boats for over 10 years and an avid user/pusher of Avery Supreme vinyl, and after this last wrap 3M might have lost me for good. The comparison between Avery and 3M is night and day as far as I'm concerned. But my question is could my last socking experience with 3M be caused by vinyl stock that is past its shelf life?? I found 3M 1080 matt to be super ridged and non conforming without use of very very concentrated heat. The adhesive was super aggressive almost gummy like a cheap Chinese vinyl and grabbed hard to surfaces without any pressure. Anyone had any similar experience with 3M? Or is Avery just that much better...

datoshway

Exact same issue with the 1080 boat blue. We did a boat wrap 36' foot all one piece. The material was so rigid, and aggressive, was ripping when it stuck to it's self. Really really disappointed with the material.

datoshway

I should mention, we work in colder weather, so what i've noticed is the Avery does do better in colder temps. Once warmed up, both materials seem to be comparable. As much as I dislike avery, the company and all their little minions. Their product is definitely superior.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Keyword is temperature. If it's colder the 3M will be more rigid. Glue is aggressive for sure. Other than that not sure If I would have done matte color on a boat. It will be a lot harder to clean.

Michael Chaston

Grizzlie Signs
Keyword is temperature. If it's colder the 3M will be more rigid. Glue is aggressive for sure. Other than that not sure If I would have done matte color on a boat. It will be a lot harder to clean.
Definitely wasn't a cold day (shirts & shorts weather) reverted to using a big diesel heater down the hull while using heat guns during application, pain in arse. What's your experience with cleaning gloss vs matt hulls? We've done dozens of matt hulls and our detailers have told us Gloss takes more time to clean?? Always keen to hear others experiences?

Melks

I've always preferred using the 3M 1080 wrap films over the Avery Supreme Wrapping films - I feel as if the Avery films feel thinner and cheaper but that doesn't stop me from using them. I think the Avery films are easier to work with. From a price stand point Avery is always a winner!