• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 180cV3

ncpdfsb

i had introduced air and lots of it using my heat gun trying to simulate the worst case scenario... 180v2 with lamination creased ever so slightly and 180v3 with lami. on the same panel with same amount of heat dispensed the air faster and smoothed out without creasing. also both lifted well after touch tacking. the primer offered by 3m also benefits in adhesion issues.

I only used a sample roll of the v2 and it appeared to only have channels running in one direction. I intentionally introduced some bubbles so that I could see how it reacted, and it was my impression that the channels were indeed only in one direction.

:goodpost:

cdiesel

We bought a roll of 380 to take advantage of this offer.. the ad I got from 3M said it expired on 12/31/08 though.. Nice that they extended it!

P

ProWraps™

crap. we just spent $300-somthing on another set of 3m $10 rollers. i wish i would have known. we opted not to buy another set of their $30 bubble poppers. im in the wrong biz.

from my reps mouth "180cv3 is the best of v1 and v2". it combines the ease of install of v1 with the clean finish of v2 (no cross hatch pattern).

P

ProWraps™

we did a sprinter with 380 which is supposed to have the air egress characteristics of the 180v3. good stuff. obviously was super cast because it was 380. but it finished nice.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Interesting, I just checked the v2 liner this morning and the air egress channels run in one direction. I'm going to try the v3 on my next order.

Graphics.Atl

I use V2 and 8518 lam. what can you tell me about V3 that I might buy a roll of V3 next?

and I to have tried so many different wraps and came back to 3M everyone has to try them all and make their own take on them.

3M all the way

Very shortly 3M will no longer sell V2 so you will not have a choice, the adhesive system is better on V3, the channels are shaped like V1, so you can squeegee in any direction, and still no print through to the other side. Good stuff just stay away from 8519 Lam it looks terrible and is not as dimensionally stable.

kustomkoncepts

crazy but it does not matter I know the stuff I have here is only one direction and that was what I did not like about it because if you did have to do a forced hard squege opposite of the lines against the grain you got lost of funny looking bubbles you had to be careful and know what direction they where running or used lighter initial squegees then a harder pass.

I did not think we could argue for a whole page on the direction of the lines in 3M vinyl but we did. I'm done it is what it is and aparently V2 will be no more so we will have to use V3 weather it is one direction egress or has the cross pattern.

Later all

tanneji

We use V3 here. Our wrap installer is 3M, Mactac, and Oracal certified and he vastly prefers the V3 to any of the other options. He gets grumpy when someone else ships us something to install and its not on the 3M. Just one guys opinion but he does great work.

Joel

grafixemporium

Suppliers here in Houston no longer have V2 in stock. I was told 3M stopped production of it. They still make 180 non-Comply, V1 and of course V3. I just bought my first 2 rolls of V3 today. Looking at V2 and V3 side by side right now... they look very similar. Same uni-directional egress... not a grid. Look identical on the print side... nice and smooth.

I'd argue that it would be hard to tell the difference just by looking at the vinyl itself. What's interesting is that the texture of the backing liner is very different. The V3 backing has much finer channels. Anyway, we will be wrapping a few jobs this weekend, so I'll have more to say by Monday on V3 as far as performance goes.

cdiesel

No.. it's a *little* more, but you should be able to negotiate the same price. A lot of people are confusing 380v3 with 180v3, which is much more expensive, but a totally different animal.

GB2

Old Member
Now I am confused....what is the 380cv3? and what is everyone talking about, 180cv3 or 380cv3? I was thinking the whole time that the conversation was all about 180cv3 and the 380cv3 was just a typo. Now I went to the 3M website and I just see that there are two different products but I have no idea what the difference is.

Also, on the subject of laminates, there appears to be a new gloss laminate 8580, which is paired with the 380cv3. So what is that? What laminate now goes with the 180cv3? Can, or should, you use the 8580 with the 180cv3 or should you stay with the 8518-Gloss, 8519-Luster, 8520-Matte?

kustomkoncepts

I'm not the pro but 180CV3 is the new all around wrap material replacing the 180 v2 and origional Control tac and use the usual 8518,8519,8520

I belive 380v3 is a super rubbery strech material for XTREME curves and concaves, HARD APPLICATIONS. this is soo strechy that it need the new matched 8580 lam to stretch with it.

Am I right guys??

scott pagan

kind of.

the 180-Comply-version 3 is the new "comply" that will replace original c and v2. you still will use 8518-19-20 (gloss/lustre/matte) laminates as the matched component.

the 380-comply-version 3 is a new product with a more aggressive adhesive and is built for heated stretching on contour curves (bumper wraps) and deep channels (older Sprinter windows). it has a new thinner 1.5 mil gloss laminate, 8580 for matched components. this is to keep the vinyl/lam product thin enough, strong enough, conformable to stay down better for "wraps".

the 380 is slightly less expensive than the 180 product. the thinner 8580 lam is similar priced to 8518-19-20.

the 380 claims "no primer or relief cuts needed".

the 380 has a shorter 3M warranty life than 180 does.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I just got a roll of 380J and 8580lam to take advantage of the free roller and 25yds of 180j. I have a project that requires wrapping cones and wierd shaped motorcycle parts so it should be fun. I will let you know how it works out..