• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m - 2ml after 4 years

gabagoo

This film is applied to the hood of a school bus that came in last week for minor fixes.... This vinyl was put on dry 4 years ago. OK I know it is on a black surface that faces upward, but a cast film should last longer.

Attachments

• 3mfail.jpg
    3mfail.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 98

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
On a black hood...... on a commercial vehicle that is likely never ever waxed nor ever sees much of any shade. Not too bad in my opinion. That's about the worst possible conditions for the vinyl.

Billct2

Actually a black hood is about the worst environment for vinyl no matter what it is. Whenever I do a hood graphic I always tell them there is no warranty at all and if they get a year or two before it starts deteriorating they're doing good.

SeaWriter

Somewhere in the very fine print of 3M specs, there are different horizontal and vertical specifications. If i remember correctly it's only 3 years for horizontal application for a "7 year" product.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like global warming strikes again.......
From the sample all the failures are at sharp points in the cuts.
Maybe a micro fillet on all the sharp turns will make the next one last a little longer.

wayne k
guam usa

S'N'S

Plus the black will expand at a different rate to the white. Would it be possible to paint it on instead of vinyl?

Z SIGNS

I am working on a typestyle right now that solves the problem of vinyl failure.
attachment.php

All vinyl eventually fails.
It fails really quick if you try to stick it to a frying pan.

I like Gacos Idea of putting a little round on all the corners.
I just did a signtific experiment.

I put a slight round on on a Helvetica A next to one without a round.
I stepped and repeated this and sent it to a plotter so I could see how differently they cut.
The one ones with the round made the plotter run "smooth" as opposed to the "un rounded"

Check it out you will see what I'm talking about.

I can see this making weeding a little easier also.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 129

reQ

Yup, i think its problem from plot. When it cuts sharp corners, it might make VERY small cut in that corner. After all heat/cold temps it just cracks from these points.

gabagoo

I am thinking that a good calendered would have faired as well. Now the sides of the bus are a yellow sort of plastic panel and I used 3M black. A few have come in for repair work and they look very weathered as well. No real cracking like the white, but a few stress cracks here and there.