Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3M 8518 Laminate causing greenish color shift

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by TeamOutlaw, Dec 27, 2012.

1. TeamOutlaw

TeamOutlaw Member

May 4, 2011
    Brookings, SD
    I am using a Roland SolJet Pro III XC-540 (ecosol) printer, and cold laminating printed films and discovering that my prints are color shifting after being laminated.

We print most often with 3M IJ180C & laminate with 3M 8518. The laminate appears to be adding a 'greenish' tint to EVERYTHING!?

For instance...print a nice gray color, laminate it & it will take on a greenish-gray look. Print a nice yellow, laminate it & it looks like a 'dirty' cat-crap yellow.

It changes some colors so significantly that we need to adjust the output to achieve the correct color after lamination.

Help? Advice?

Tags:
  2. 4R Graphics

4R Graphics Active Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Some laminates are known to have a blueish tint to them and will cause the color shift you are seeing.

Try another brand or use an optically clear laminate.

3. TeamOutlaw

TeamOutlaw Member

May 4, 2011
    Brookings, SD
    Doesn't 3M already claim that the 8518 IS optically clear!?

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    print color charts, laminate, use that to match.

5. the graphics co

the graphics co Active Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    I have had good luck with Avery products, just a thought. I hear oracal doesn't suffer the color shift either.

I got fed up with the green hue on the 3M laminates, optically clear isn't the right option either it is expensive and doesn't conform the way 8518/19/20 do. It is meant for window perf.

6. 4R Graphics

4R Graphics Active Member

Jan 28, 2008
    I know a rep of a supplier who says that 8518 is more optically clear than Oracals 290 optically clear laminate. I have not verified this but if 8518 is shifting the color on your print then its not optically clear (or at least not to the standards that we want).

7. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    We use a lot of LG polymeric vinyl and lam and the lam will give a horrendous green cast over greys.
    We created a "laminated" profile which solved the problem pretty much.

If you have the ability that's the way to go.

8. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    oracal 290 does the same thing on some colors. Been there done that.

John

9. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    You'll see it on light greens, greys, and flesh tones. Not much you can do to avoid it

10. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego

+ 1
    Create two ICC profiles for the media, one without and the other with the laminate applied. Neutral (grays) and near neutrals (pastels etc) are the most likely to be affected by the color cast of the laminate. Measuring the ICC chart (only) through the laminate will correct for the cast that the laminate imparts.

11. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    heh.

12. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

This is the only way we create our profiles. You have to scan the swatches in from the final product for it to be accurate. Scanning it in unlaminated gives you a profile for unlaminated. Laminated will almost always be different. And yeah.... 3M does give a greenish tint more than many others. We will use it if specified but for the most part we reccomend and use Oracal 290GF (optically clear cast).