• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 8518 Laminate longevity?

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I have a customer that is requesting printed signs that will last 7 years instead of the normal 5 that we have offered. I happen to have some 3M IJ180Cv3 vinyl and 8518 laminate in the shop. According to the Fellers catalog, the vinyl is rated to 8 years, but the laminate only 3 years. I only have (8) 1' x 1' signabond signs to make, so I would rather not order 150' of some other material. Will the 8518 be okay since it is a small flat sign, or do I need to bite the bullet and get some better laminate? I also have some Oracal 210 that I can use if it will last.

Your help is appreciated.

John Butto

3M™ MCS™ Warranty Expansion: Two More Years, One More Product

The most comprehensive finished graphics warranty in the industry just got stronger. Now you can offer enhanced coverage on vehicle graphics to give your customers peace of mind.

Two More Years

3M has extended the 3M™ MCS™ Warranty for vehicle graphics (printed with specified 3M digital inks, films and overlaminates) from five to seven years.

One More Product

3M is also covering a new product under the 3M™ MCS™ Warranty: 3M™ Scotchcal™ Gloss Overlaminate 8518. This addition fills out 3M’s line of finishes – including Luster (8519), Matte (8520) and Ultra Matte (8515) – all of which are covered by the new, longer warranty.

Overlaminate 8518 provides a glossy, paint-like finish that reflects sunlight brilliantly and resists fuel vapors, making it a top choice for a variety of graphic types, including car and boat wraps. Its superior conformability characteristics ensure fast and easy application in deep channels and over complex curves

Tony McD

I had heard before the 8518 had a 3 year instead of 5 year rating because it was too new.
Maybe now they are more sure about the product?

CS-SignSupply-TT

What kind of profit will you generate for 8 square feet of signage -VS- what kind of headache is this project going to bring you down the road?

thinksigns

SnowFlake
What kind of profit will you generate for 8 square feet of signage -VS- what kind of headache is this project going to bring you down the road?

If I do this the right way, I will be buying rolls of Oracal 3551RA and 290 Lam, so there is no profit in the job. I will have barely used rolls of vinyl and lam to use in the future.

Maybe it would be better to start a new thread, but I'm curious as to what other shops do about longevity questions. 100% of the time, customers ask how much. .0001% of the time, they ask how long it will last. Before I got into digital, I used Oracal 651 for the majority of our signs. I've never had a complaint about longevity.

HulkSmash

If I do this the right way, I will be buying rolls of Oracal 3551RA and 290 Lam, so there is no profit in the job. I will have barely used rolls of vinyl and lam to use in the future.

Maybe it would be better to start a new thread, but I'm curious as to what other shops do about longevity questions. 100% of the time, customers ask how much. .0001% of the time, they ask how long it will last. Before I got into digital, I used Oracal 651 for the majority of our signs. I've never had a complaint about longevity.

A nice "Inexpensive" combination is IJ35 with R tape eclypse lam. These 2 work very well together.

KARYN BUSH

you simply can not guarantee a printed sign for 7 years...the inks aren't guaranteed...the vinyl isn't and good luck trying to collect from 3M. In best conditions things might last for longer but I wouldn't put myself on that limb.

SignManiac

Educate the customer and tell him the truth. There is no printed vinyl that will last that long, unless it's indoors, and if anyone tells him otherwise, they are lying.

Instead, sell him on automotive paint and clear coat if he wants any kind of guarantee. There are ways, but it's going to cost him.