• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m certification

cdiesel

What would be your motivation for being certified, and while 3M program would you be looking at?

wildside

depends on the work you are trying to do, if you are doing installs for other companies i can see a benefit

the average walk in retail customer isn't going to care or even know what the hell a 3m cert is, therefore a waste of time and money unless it is a personal goal

Craig Sjoquist

Darn right it is worth it, 3M carries the best, created the vinyl 1st, and carries a heavy weight when it comes to marketing plus one of the few companies that is growing by leaps and bounds.

Maybe today it may not mean much but time presses on it will mean alot more, like getting corp. jobs because your 3M certified, as 3m markets it self even smaller ones.

If you can afford it, it is only money.

HulkSmash

Darn right it is worth it, 3M carries the best, created the vinyl 1st, and carries a heavy weight when it comes to marketing plus one of the few companies that is growing by leaps and bounds.

Maybe today it may not mean much but time presses on it will mean alot more, like getting corp. jobs because your 3M certified, as 3m markets it self even smaller ones.

Wraps ink

I am gearing towards getting larger fleet and corporate accounts and just think it will look better to them knowing im 3m certified

wrapcitydesigns

I'm Certified

Hey I'm 3M Preferred Certified and its pretty cool. I've landed 2 jobs because of it and make more money than the regular installers. I also have my name and info on the 3M website and I get business that way as well. Plus if you a certified installer any company that hires you can become a 3M Certified company which is a big deal for them.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps

Not sure what relevance there is because they "created the vinyl 1st" But for the other reasons you listed, I'd say 3M IS the most recognizable brand to your average "layman".

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I know a LOT of folks on here like to BASH certifications. But it can't hurt your business by getting certified...it can only help it. Do I think certs guarantee quality...no. Do they guarantee more business...maybe not. But can you learn anything in one...probably. Might it help when someone asks if you are certified...probably. So "logically" certification is really only being opposed for illogical purposes by folks who's pride may be telling them...they don't "need" one. Questions isn't if it's "needed"...it's "would it help?" The honest and logical answer to this often posted question is....YES IT CAN HELP. Nothing "bad" can come of it. (of course all this is ignoring the fact that cert programs cost money which is the only down side lol )
Being self taught and good at what you do...isn't negated by a certificate of approval by another for doing it. It doesn't mean everything you learned was by them. In fact it doesn't have to mean you learned anything from them. Is just means to outsiders, that you are recognized by others in a formal way. Only thing at risk ..again...is pride.
PS...I'm not certified as of this moment either...probably for some of the reasons above. :)

EGI

Question to 3M certs. If you were certified by 3M, and you had a warranty problem with some of their material, do they actually warranty it for you? We stopped using 3M because we got a bad batch of vinyl & lam from them (what they claimed) and they wouldn't warranty it, even though they claimed it was their fault in manufacturing... So we had to eat a couple rolls of vinyl and lam...

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Question to 3M certs. If you were certified by 3M, and you had a warranty problem with some of their material, do they actually warranty it for you? We stopped using 3M because we got a bad batch of vinyl & lam from them (what they claimed) and they wouldn't warranty it, even though they claimed it was their fault in manufacturing... So we had to eat a couple rolls of vinyl and lam...

So the "vinyl" AND "lam" were both bad? How so? What was wrong with them?

EGI

So the "vinyl" AND "lam" were both bad? How so? What was wrong with them?

The laminate was separating from the vinyl. Both were 3M products, don't remember the line off the top of my head, and when we contacted 3M about the issue, they claimed we got a bad batch of both... And basically couldn't get refunded or just have them send us new material, which all we wanted was new stuff that wasn't messed up. Haven't bought anything 3M since...

EGI

Could it have been the ink between the two of them?

Ink was always the same before and after. And, we had been using both the vinyl and lam (not off the failing rolls...) in question on several wraps before the failure. Basically, the stuff worked till we got a "bad batch", and when we talked to 3M about it, they said it was a manufacturing defect. Basically admitting it was a fault on their end, but there wasn't anything we could do about it.

So my original question is, if you're 3M certified, do they actually honor warranty claims?

Dave Rowland

The UK sign forum (not sure if I am allowed to advertise) owner has recently started to deliver such service where he will drive to your organisation in a truck/trailer and run wrap training within.
He has been working with many to get approved in many manufacturers.

cdiesel

I don't know if certification would make any difference to 3M in a warranty claim.. That would be a question for 3M. You out there guys??

I've never had any problems getting credited for material failures from any manufacturer. If they are admitting there is a material problem but not paying the claim, I would figure it's more an issue of something not getting completed (think paperwork) rather than them denying the claim.

EGI

I don't know if certification would make any difference to 3M in a warranty claim.. That would be a question for 3M. You out there guys??

I've never had any problems getting credited for material failures from any manufacturer. If they are admitting there is a material problem but not paying the claim, I would figure it's more an issue of something not getting completed (think paperwork) rather than them denying the claim.

Yeah, not so much... Really, at this point I could care less, the incident was over a year ago now... Just thought I'd ask about it. We use a lot of material, and had been primarily using 3M's wrap vinyl and lam line. But if they don't take care of their customers, then we'll just use someone else. We now use Avery for everything, and haven't had a single problem, and Avery is slightly cheaper, with similar quality as 3M...