• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question 3M Custom Vinyl Wrap

siphon56

Hello!
I need customized vinyl wrap from 3M. Is it possible to get something like that? For example, we want IJ40C with adhesive of IJ180. Even if we need to buy rolls, we will. Any 3M sales rep or authorized 3M vendors, please let me know, and we can talk in more detail. Thank you!

somcalmetim

IJ40 and IJ180 are totally different calendered/cast vinyls but essentially have the same adhesive properties already with air release and slideability...formulating vinyl is 3Ms business, you are talking about funding/formulating an entirely new product line at a multi-national company...I doubt they wouldnt even talk to you, unless you are known in the space to be able to pay for and move the multiple containerloads of product it would require for them to bother formulating and producing a custom vinyl...

siphon56

IJ40 and IJ180 are totally different calendered/cast vinyls but essentially have the same adhesive properties already with air release and slideability...formulating vinyl is 3Ms business, you are talking about funding/formulating an entirely new product line at a multi-national company...I doubt they wouldnt even talk to you, unless you are known in the space to be able to pay for and move the multiple containerloads of product it would require for them to bother formulating and producing a custom vinyl...
dbrand does it, decal girl does it. It wont be much of the problems. You just need to find a good 3M vendor. I am trying

siphon56

It won't be a matter of buying rolls, but buying pallets. Also I would think the cost of getting a custom production run like this would cost more per roll than just buying ij180.
We love IJ180C but the thickness is very thin on this. And we are doing skins for phones, laptops. You need to have the wrap a little bit thicker so you can actually apply it.

somcalmetim

We love IJ180C but the thickness is very thin on this. And we are doing skins for phones, laptops. You need to have the wrap a little bit thicker so you can actually apply it.
You should use IJ180 with the thicker 8509 laminate meant for IJ40C...we can apply laptop sized decals or bigger lammed in 8509 with no premask...only problem is 8509 is only luster finish and they discontinued the gloss version but there are other thick lams...try a thick laminate before you goto the expense of formulating your own vinyl...

siphon56

You should use IJ180 with the thicker 8509 laminate meant for IJ40C...we can apply laptop sized decals or bigger lammed in 8509 with no premask...only problem is 8509 is only luster finish and they discontinued the gloss version but there are other thick lams...try a thick laminate before you goto the expense of formulating your own vinyl...
Here’s the problem we have: we can’t laminate out prints. Because that is where we stand out. We make textured skins so laminating a print which has textures won’t make any sense. If we wanted do laminate a print. We can just print the plain graphic and laminate it to make it thicker. We need a thicker material to print on top of it. Does it make sense? Lemme know your feedback

Based on what you’re saying just use 3M 40c , someone said it has the same adhesive and YES it does have same adhesive. There are alternatives too. Could use arlon 4600, 4500 or Avery 2923ez or Orafol 3651ra

Call the manufacturers support lines they will hook you up with a distributor close to you

siphon56

Based on what you’re saying just use 3M 40c , someone said it has the same adhesive and YES it does have same adhesive. There are alternatives too. Could use arlon 4600, 4500 or Avery 2923ez or Orafol 3651ra

Call the manufacturers support lines they will hook you up with a distributor close to you
This might be really useful. And yes i have tried the adhesive of 40c and 180c. 40c comes no where close to 180c adhesive. We dont want people using a heat gun or hair dryer on their smartphones.

JBurton

Signtologist
We need a thicker material to print on top of it
IJ180 is 2 mils thick
IJ35 is 3.1 mils
Substance PM3750 is 3.7 mils
Ultracurve 660LSE is 6.6 mils
There are tons of other products out there, get off your a$$ and start ordering samples and stop messing with the ij180. It's far from economical to combine 2 rolls, $400 each, than it is to find a product that is as thick as you like with adhesive that you like.
Or yeah, holler at 3m, they'll probably squeeze a custom order out in under a month that you can test right before 'launch'.

siphon56

IJ180 is 2 mils thick
IJ35 is 3.1 mils
Substance PM3750 is 3.7 mils
Ultracurve 660LSE is 6.6 mils
There are tons of other products out there, get off your a$$ and start ordering samples and stop messing with the ij180. It's far from economical to combine 2 rolls, $400 each, than it is to find a product that is as thick as you like with adhesive that you like.
Or yeah, holler at 3m, they'll probably squeeze a custom order out in under a month that you can test right before 'launch'.
Let me look at those materials and try to get samples of it. Thanks for the feedback tho

somcalmetim

Here’s the problem we have: we can’t laminate out prints. Because that is where we stand out. We make textured skins so laminating a print which has textures won’t make any sense. If we wanted do laminate a print. We can just print the plain graphic and laminate it to make it thicker. We need a thicker material to print on top of it. Does it make sense? Lemme know your feedback
Hmmm, ya I guess you are either going to have to build a multi-layered vinyl sandwich of something like ij180 then black 2080 vinyl, then ij180 with textured print...
or get out the big cheque book for a bulk order of custom vinyl...
I just didnt really think 3M did smaller custom runs of vinyl given their habit of making nice vinyl colors and then discontinuing the entire sku...they even shutter popular colors like 2080 Gold Metallic...

JBurton

Signtologist
They are AWESOME to work with
They really are, and care about their products. I got a call from them at 5pm at the office while I was out in the print room. Nobody told me they'd called until nearly 6. I figured what the hey and called them, and sure enough someone answered the phone at 7pm their time.

siphon56

Sounds good! Thanks for your help on this.