• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Dusted Crystal - Best Transfer Tape?!?!?!

JustinMcDowell

I am having ALL KINDS of trouble with transfer tape. We are trying to find the best transfer tape to apply 3M Dusted Privacy film onto interior office glass and we are experiencing problems with R-Tape High Tack just not being good enough to handle the film's characteristics - the transfer tape either won't stick well enough to pull it from the release liner or it won't hold up to the application process that requires wet application and lots of pressure to release the fluid and bubbles, any transfer tape suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

-Eye Catcher

gabagoo

I am not expert but the 3m transfer tape comes in many different types, but best of all is that it is thicker than just about all the others I have tried and application always works well. It also releases very nicely wet or dry

Chasez

Depending on what your cut pattern is, we use as a stock mask 3M SCPM-3 (med tack) and when there is a lot of thin crap we would use 3M SCPS-55 (high tack). As far as the liner releasing, that has nothing to do with the pre-mask. I can't remember exactly how long ago, but 3M has changed the factory/equipment that they're making materials which has changed the characteristics of the materials. We have seen this across the board on all different types of 3M materials (vinyls, solar films, security films). The Dusted Crystal is probably one of the worst, from what we've found it doesn't matter what mask that you use, the adhesive is so aggressive now that its a pain to remove the backer, so just be careful no matter which mask you use.

Chaz