• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m Envision 480 Sv480cv3 Issue

heyskull

I loaded a roll of 3M Envision 480 SV480Cv3 into my Mutoh Valuejet.
I gave it a light wipe over with some isopropyl Alchol on the leading edge, as I do with most substrates I load into machine. This is just in case their is any oily fingerprints on the material by the previous person who unloaded the material.
On this occasion it was as if I had wiped it with thinners or some cleaning fluid as the material did not like it at all and it was as if it was wiping a coating of the material.
Has anyone come across this issue before as it is the first material I have had an issue such as this over a little alcohol.

Also on a further note I was at an introduction to this material at our suppliers last year, showing what it can do and to big the whole product up a bit.
The issue is, although they call this material PVC free and environmentally superior 3M are not at liberty and are not willing to say what it is made from, this seems a huge scary secret. What can make it such a taboo thing to ask about?

Also heard that IJ 380 will be phased out and you will either have a choice of 480 or IJ180.

SC

DunbarPG

I have only went through one roll of this stuff, but it is very finicky. I printed a graphic, left it to outgas for over 24 hours, laminated, cut, then went to apply. Used application tape due to floating elements in the design. When peeling back the application tape to apply, the laminate completely lifted from the vinyl, and pulled all ink with it. I was back to white vinyl, with a nice translucent print on the laminate lol. Contacted my 3m rep, never received a solution. Used the rest of the roll with no problems.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 163

heyskull

It is a very strange material indeed.
You can heat it and heat it and it seems to stay stable.
I think maybe the issue you had a start of the roll Dunbar is a contamination one.
Biggest issue with this material is the Controlac repositioning is not as good and it can grab a little to fast for my liking.
Guess we are gonna have to get used to it as from what I hear this is going to be eventually the only type of material 3M are going to sell.

SC

danno

We have used that media here before it was ij480cv3. It has been very inconsistent, since the initial test. While it has been easier for the installation process, the print side has been very troublesome.

ericm

we used one roll to wrap a car and it printed fine and laminated fine but a week later brown spots started to appear all over the car WILL NEVER USE IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!