• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M "Envision" wrap film 480Cv3

painterjrm

Anyone know if this film is compatible with a Mimaki JV3 running ss2 solvent ink? It apparently works with a Seiko solvent ink according to 3M, but the JV3 is untested.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
JV33 too...... stuff smells funny though. I cannot see the extra cost value so we have only run it on request.

On a side note, the 8548 Envision lam, aside from the expected 3M yellow tint on laminates, that stuff is awesome. Truly does not get any fine squeegee scratches when installing a wrap.

Bly

We printed on a sample we got and it seems pretty good.

We won't be buying it at the massive premium 3M charge for it here though.

They only have 3 or 4 distributors here and if any of them discount they lose their dealership.

P8106jr

Seiko

3m does lots of testing Not all inks are created equal. I overheard a 3m rep complaining a distributor was selling Mutho printers with ij480c this week. Even with their echo solvent inks the solvent was attaching the adhesive and causing failures. Currently the Seiko GX inks are the only low solvent ink that have proven not to have long term issues with the product. If you do use it with your Mimaki you are taking a risk.

FrankW

In Switzerland, the only ink suggested from 3M is HP Latex. The recommendation for any solvent is "should work, but ...".

Seano32

In Switzerland, the only ink suggested from 3M is HP Latex. The recommendation for any solvent is "should work, but ...".

That is what I was told also. We did some testing for 3M on this vinyl before it was released and was told to only print latex on it.

danno

The 480 ran famously on our LX800 with the 600 series inks. I have been attempting to use some of it on our L26500. As you see attempting. I hope to attempt a profile for it soon. Maybe that will help. 3M tells me it's an HP problem, HP tells me it's a 3M problem. Go figure.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm on roll 30 of 480Cv3 in my L25500... we have completely converted to it. The material is awesome and allows us to install on site for our fair clients in direct sun and 100+ degree weather with no adverse effects. It has cut our install times down.

IGraphicsPA

Help with printing on this new material

We are trying the 3M Envision 480 for the first time, I need to print a wrap for a repeat customer, the colors are not printing corrrect, the colors are dull, washed out... Does anyone know the profile i can use to print on this material so my colors come out looking bright and brilliant as usual? I'm using a Roland soljet III, roland versaworks. Thanks

(i checked the 3m website but there was nothing that could be downloaded)

TimToad

"I cannot see the extra cost value so we have only run it on request."

What extra cost?

Our supplier sells it for nearly $100 LESS than IJ180 on a 54" x 50 yard roll. The laminate is nearly the same in savings. To get 50 yards of this and the laminate for almost $200 less for both, seems like a deal if it works as well.

Christian @ 2CT Media

"I cannot see the extra cost value so we have only run it on request."

What extra cost?

Our supplier sells it for nearly $100 LESS than IJ180 on a 54" x 50 yard roll. The laminate is nearly the same in savings. To get 50 yards of this and the laminate for almost $200 less for both, seems like a deal if it works as well.

Alot of us get our 180 for way less then the fixed 480 pricing, we use the 480 simply because it's a better product. We can justify the extra .10/sq

TimToad

I guess I better start using the 480 instead, because if you all are paying more than IJ180 for it, and my supplier is selling the 480 for that much less as I stated, seems like reason enough to switch.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
3M "Envision" products currently have fixed pricing no matter where you get them. We pay much less for 180CV3 than we can get the 480 for. Interestingly 3 different suppliers have given us the exact same price, to the penny for the Envision stuff which confirms to me they are all stuck and are offering it to us at the minimum 3M will allow them to.

That being said - we don't use the 480. Tried a sample roll off it. While it did install nice it did not print all that great on our Mimaki with Triangle full solvent inks and sort of smelled funny (as in stunk) when it was printing. We however do like the Envision 8548 lam. It does not scratch nearly as much as any other gloss lam and while 3M does not promote it for use on 180 they do show it as fully compatible with 180 in their documents. The 8548 lam also has a better durability and life than 8518... It is however slightly more expensive. I have not priced the 480 in quite some time since we do not use it but the last time I did on a 54" roll the 180CV3 was over $100 less per roll. With the most recent 3M price increases that gap has narrowed slightly but not much although I have no idea if the 480 also went up, I know most everything else did. Right now we are going through about 3 rolls a week though so our suppliers are hesitant to try and jack me around on pricing much.