• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m etched vinyl won't pick up with transfer tape

Drip Dry

Tried to apply 3m etched vinyl today to the inside of a glass window Indoors
I'm using rtape high tac transfer tape
The image is thin script but I wouldn't think it's thin to the point it would cause a problem
I think if it was just plain intermediate avery vinyl. it would be fine

I just can't get it to lift up and I ruined the piece

Any suggestions

Thanks
Jim

CanuckSigns

Yeah we had similar issues with the 3M dusted crystal film, the vinyl sticks too well to the synthetic liner. We asked 3M about it and we were told we needed to use 3M transfer tape...

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
Yeah that stuff is a problem! We use the high tack clear Rtape and it works better than any paper masking, but it's still a pain. I was told by the 3M rep it works better in humid environments, and that in a dry climate (such as we have here in Sacramento) static can cause the vinyl to not want to release from the liner. But they love it in Florida! ;)

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
Yeah that stuff is a problem! We use the high tack clear Rtape and it works better than any paper masking, but it's still a pain. I was told by the 3M rep it works better in humid environments, and that in a dry climate (such as we have here in Sacramento) static can cause the vinyl to not want to release from the liner. But they love it in Florida! ;)
Lol, ,no we don't. :( Its still a PITA here in FL. I will say the blue marked 3M transfer tape does help alot. I also make my cut depth as light as possible, leaving little to no marks on the synthetic liner.

MikePro

most transfer tape brands have a HighTack version.
we use Rtape & Briteline hitack transfer tapes for 3M's dusted/frosted crystal vinyls without issue

gnubler

Is it the same film as Gerber 210? I ended up with a bunch of that dusted crystal last year from a job gone wrong. Tried wet applying several yards of it as I do with all the other frosted/dusted films I've used, before realizing it's dry application only. I ended up using some of it just recently for a fairly delicate logo with text, used hi-tack Rtape, and it went down fine.

Datasheet link

Melks

We use the 3M SCPS-55 (Red Label) and it works pretty well. Usually will only have issues if the mask hasn't been properly applied.
same here when working with plotted 3M Dusted Crystal film. I also tend to weed the designs (often just logos or lettering) after the film has been applied to the glass and the premask is removed. I’ve had more success removing liner during install with this method.

ikarasu

Let it down in the floor with the premask facing the floor. Grab the backing paper and Pull it off at a 90 degree angle.. you'll have to go slow, but with this method it's easy to not screw up,.and we've never found anything too thin doing it that way.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Let it down in the floor with the premask facing the floor. Grab the backing paper and Pull it off at a 90 degree angle.. you'll have to go slow, but with this method it's easy to not screw up,.and we've never found anything too thin doing it that way.
90 degrees? Don't you mean 180 degrees? 90 will just pull the whole thing back in your face. 180 will roll the backing off the vinyl and mask.

ikarasu

Yes... 180. Whoops. We pretty much fold the backing paper right over itself and pull. With such a sharp angle, it doesnt matter how thing your text is... The paper will push it into the premask.

TLG

After cutting but before weeding we always use a clean paper towel with 91% alcohol for a light wipe down. It removes the crystal “dust” from the cut line edges. Then any grade of high tack premask has held fine.

Make sure the materials are up to room temp (above 70f), during cutting and taping. And yes slowly pull off at 180 degrees to apply.

same here when working with plotted 3M Dusted Crystal film. I also tend to weed the designs (often just logos or lettering) after the film has been applied to the glass and the premask is removed. I’ve had more success removing liner during install with this method.
This is also a good strategy for stuff that's just hard to weed. If all the tiny letters or design elements are going to lift while weeding because it's printed/laminated vinyl, it's often better to just stick it to whatever and weed afterward carefully.

bigben

We use 3m scps-53x when using the 3M dusted or all this series. Work very well to pick-up the film and easily take off when wet. Even on small parts.

Chris-H

I've used the 3M SCPM-44X transfer with Arlon 5200-07 Silver Etched Glass Vinyl for years now and haven't had many issues. I also wipe the vinyl with isopropyl before masking.

Tomtint

For the guys here that use Dusted on a regular basis, PM me and I'll send you a sample of our Dusted that we make, It's a cast vinyl, extremely print receptive and the liner releases easily.

JBurton

Signtologist
After cutting but before weeding we always use a clean paper towel with 91% alcohol for a light wipe down
Is this before or after you rub cigarette ash into the plotted vinyl to see the cut lines?
In all seriousness, this is brilliant, I'll have to try next time someone has to have actual 3m.