• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ 180C on block wall

aerial

QCB
I install graphics for a print shop in local schools. On gym block walls we have been installing 3M IJ 8624 with success. I picked up the graphic for the next block wall installation, and they switched to IJ 180c. The installation is scheduled for Monday morning. Two 9' x 3' graphics, working off ladders. They told me their rep said it will work. They won't pay for me to make a trip to test. Am I looking an epic failure?

Any tips for this install are greatly appreciated!

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I would not say “epic”

You are just installing and did not make the graphics right. Have them sign off on any failures or issues that may arise. Also let the client know the situation. It was their call not yours.

We just did an install for another sign company and we told them that the wall needed to be sanded to a flat surface or a different material would have to be used. They got pressured from the client to get it up. They repainted the wall. Great but that was not the answer. We were told to put it up. Ok we do. 2-3 days later the mural falls/peels off the wall. All I was able to say was “told you so”.

aerial

QCB
I would not say “epic”

You are just installing and did not make the graphics right. Have them sign off on any failures or issues that may arise. Also let the client know the situation. It was their call not yours.

We just did an install for another sign company and we told them that the wall needed to be sanded to a flat surface or a different material would have to be used. They got pressured from the client to get it up. They repainted the wall. Great but that was not the answer. We were told to put it up. Ok we do. 2-3 days later the mural falls/peels off the wall. All I was able to say was “told you so”.
Hope it stays up til the check clears.
Going forward, I am going to insist on knowing the material specced when doing the quote for installation.
I would like to know how far free lance installers go to insure that they are getting the right material for the job, and if they insist on adhesion tests before hanging big wall graphics. I would roll that into the price of the installation, since they don't want to pay for the extra trip.

ikarasu

Back during COVID we had a job putting up stall numbers on 100ish parking spots in a garage using concrete walls. We couldn't get 8624 because of the shortages, so we tried with 180 - it was a rush needed to be done job, and we let.the customer know it may not last.

It went up ok and looked good. A week later we got a call about the numbers falling off....:roflmao: we ended up buying a different wall grip vinyl and using that. (It was all out of our pocket, we knew it might fail... But they needed it up for an opening, and we figured it was a good, albeit expensive test to see if it'd work - now we tell people it's 8624 or nothing )

When we got there to replace it all...you could blow on the vinyl and itd peel off the wall. This was in an underground garage so the walls were cold - we did pre / post heat, used the roller, did everything like normal.... The 180 did not want to stick.

As an installer, odnlet them know you'd do it but you're not warrantying the work - that if it falls off due to it being the wrong material, thats on them and not you.... And you'll gladly get paid to remove and re put everything up if a problem arises.

That's pretty much all you can do. If it's in a warmer climate, it may work - if you just refuse the job... Odds are you'll never get another job from them again. So best to cover your ass, let them know you think it'll fail but you're willing to try, but you wash your hands of the outcome.