Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3m ij 480

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by HulkSmash, Dec 23, 2013.

1. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    Just an FYI. Anyone contemplating wrapping a fleet in IJ 480 (3ms "new" wrap film). Be very aware....
    This stuff leaves behind an obscene amount of adhesive. I'm talking about, the whole car will be coated in adhesive. For all their years of testing I guess they forgot a step. Great overall product ( A little gummy for my liking ) but does a good job sticking.... unfortunately too well.

Tags:
  2. DigiPrinter

DigiPrinter Member

May 31, 2013
    Colorado, would you continue to use the 480 or do you think 180 is just as good?

3. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Thanks for the heads up.
    We just switched to 480 since it costs about the same as other wrap packs here.

So what's the cleanup like? Messy and time consuming?

4. HulkSmash

HulkSmash Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    yup

5. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Yeah..... smells like a$$ too when it's printing. We really do like the 8548G Envision lam though and 3M does show that it is fine also on 180 too. Have pretty much switch to 180 with 8548 for the lam since it is harder to scratch and has a much better UV resistance.

6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    This is good to know.
    With the 8548 on top of the 180 is there any noticeable difference during install (better or worse)?

wayne k
    guam usa

7. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Better in my opinion. On a wrap you will see far less fine squeegee scratches and is just a bit "firmer" I think which seems to make installs a little easier.

8. thesignexpert

thesignexpert Active Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I would love to hear more details on what you have experienced so far with the 480 removal. We did a number of wraps with the 380c and ran into this exact same issue with removals (LOTS of adhesive left behind resulting in a LOT of extra time and effort to fully clean). I was told that the 480c had rectified the problem so we gave it a shot. I really like how the 480c with 8548g laminate installs and we have had top notch results with everything staying in place even with old style Sprinters and the new Nissan NVs. Now, you are saying that the adhesive issue has NOT been resolved in your experience... augh!