• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m IJ135 and Gatorfoam

lknmedia

Anyone have any tips on getting this stuff (or any vinyl really) to stick well on Gatorfoam? Should I somehow prepare the surface with something?

The vinyl is sticking but can be easily pulled up. I've had a return on an 8' display sign we did (peeling off easily) and I am afraid to let it go out the door again.

I've tried some Oracal but it seems to behave the same way. Should I be using a different vinyl?

Also have the same issue on some foamcore ...

jiarby

I use 3651, or 3165RA.... After mounting I hit the edges with a little heat from my electric heat gun and then use a roller to seal the adhesive. Remember it is pressure sensitive adhesive... I do not think a B/S appliction is anough pressure to "seal the deal". A little extra burnishing on the edges helps.

Be careful to not overheat the foam, and not crush it with the roller

MikePro

3M specifically states in their product info that its not intended for use on gaterfoam-type products...

I found this out after doing an entire department store's worth of signage and had to go and laminate all my edges on-site, up in the air, and out of my pocket!... you're essentially applying a decal to cardboard and expecting it to hold up.

my fix: wrap it! vinyl sticks great to vinyl. I just apply both sides with 1/2" material extra all the way around (for 3/4" board) and then go back and wrap it like a christmas present, and finish with a heat gun and roller. Been 3 years now and they haven't started curling (fingers crossed).

Letterbox Mike

Is it IJ35 with the air-release adhesive or just regular IJ35? Same with the Oracal you used?

If it's the air-release, you might not be getting enough adhesive contact with the surface, perhaps switch to a non air egress vinyl. We do a ton of foamcore and Gator with regular vinyl and have had no failures that I know of.

lknmedia

Thanks for the quick replies!

It's the air-release 135 ... Oracal is just plain economy not sure of the product number.

I think the first job ( vinyl FELL OFF the board in a day!) was laminated and applied without any out-gassing time. It was 100% coverage print as well so lots of ink.

The testing I've done .. it seems to stick okay .. a little heat helps. I'm just worried because I can peel it off with a moderate amount of effort.

Mike .. thanks for that info .. I was not aware.

I'll do a little more testing with more pressure and heat.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Just a thought, have you ever thought of using Ultra Board or similar product instead of Gatorfoam for interior applications? We've used it on several occasions and had good luck with it. It uses a polystyrene laminate instead of cardboard, vinyl sticks great.:thumb:

WinGraphics

Premium Subscriber
+1 on the Ultraboard. We go thru 2 cases a month. Unlike Gator it cuts easily with a razor knife. Clean and no rough edges.

lknmedia

Yes .. I will be using Ultraboard in place of Gatorfoam from now on. All I had in stock was the Gator so I am stuck with that .... it's a rush job (aren't they all).

So .. with the great advice from Signs101 ... I decided to take the "wrapping a package" approach since I don't have time to f*** around with this. Great idea and it looks like it will work a treat!

Thanks again!

Malkin

We use 3/16 GatorPlast, which also has a polystyrene face (I think) and cuts very cleanly.

Course it costs even more than 1/8 PVC.

jmcnicoll

We wipe all our gator down with 90% ISO as per the maker of gator. Had similar problem way back with anything sticking so I called the manufacturer. Also, tried IJ135 way back and found it to shrink way too much, now use a lexjet product that is much more stable and less expensive.

jim

boxerbay

gatorboard is a wood veneer face. wood is subject to humidity.

we use ultra products. ultramount and ultraboard mostly.

ultraboard has a cardboard face
ultramount has a plastic - polystyrene face. we wipe is down with alcohol before applying Oracal 3640G to it. never had a problem.

MikePro

I don't trust gatorfoam to hold my graphic... i just use it as a filler.

for 3/4" gatorfoam, i overprint my faces 1/2" and simply wrap the edges onto each other.

Definately want to look into Ultramount, as Gatorfoam is pretty expensive despite being cardboard filled with foam.