Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3M IJ180-cv3 / 8518 de-laminating

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by danger, Feb 20, 2019.

1. danger

danger Member

Jun 19, 2006
    We have been noticing edges de-laminating with this for the past year on white and printed edges we are very loyal 3m users but this is getting frustrating. you can literally pull the lam off with ease this is even after post heating or not . Mostly on contour cut graphics. Is it time to switch ?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Latex printer?

3. asd

asd Member

Aug 13, 2007
    colorado
    I only have that problem with one of my customers which makes me think that they are washing their vehicles with a pressure washer to close to the graphics. its easy to tell when the prints are delaminated because the glue stays on the ink and it will turn black from dust sticking to it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glavin_ID

Glavin_ID Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    We use the same material but we use 8519 lam. Not sure what the difference is but we have never had any issues.

5. jcskikus

jcskikus Owner, Designer & Installer

Jun 28, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    DEFINITELY looks like a pressure washing issue. We tell customers never to use a pressure washer and to hand wash only. Issues like this pop up all the time when they do this and want me to warranty it.

6. danger

danger Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes but this is on the white area not printed area

7. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Looking at pictures on the computer def looks like pressure washer/car wash of some sort.

8. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    That may still have optimizer on it as it's not really a controlled channel and mostly just floods

9. Patentagosse

Patentagosse Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Joliette, Quebec (Canada)
    'Had similar issue when I got their new IJ180-10SLS last years. I did a tanker (stainless) for my customer and 'had few spots with edges lifting. I wasn't sure if it was because of the material or pressure washing but it happened mostly on top of graphics, where the pressure from water (*if it's because of this) is at it's lowest strengt, considering the guy is on the ground... 'Sent the pictures at my distributor and they aggree to supply the material to redo the job (180-10SLS + 8518). As I had to fix the problem quickly before the annual show n' shine, I have reprinted it on MPI1105+1060Z and never heard from it since. I still have the 3M material for the next tanker (4 coming in April!) Still can't tell why. +48 hours outgasing before applying laminate (printed on Friday, laminated on Monday...)